Gear cutter help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swifty, I found your article. Very well explained and good pictures. You make it look pretty easy. Phil, there are four different pitch full size illustrations In my Boston cat., my gears fit perfectly.

Do you have a link to Swifty's article?

Chuck

Edit: Duh, found it in the Articles Section...

Last edited:
I found a big lot of gears (quart jar) on eBay for $10. Don't want to give up my source, but some people list them under Steam Punk Art, or something similar. People make odd jewelry out of them.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

I found a big lot of gears (quart jar) on eBay for $10. Don't want to give up my source, but some people list them under Steam Punk Art, or something similar. People make odd jewelry out of them.

Will be fun matching them for a project.

Gus I could not find the chart you talked about I'd like a copy because I still need gears for my radial builds.

Thanks Todd

Hi Todd,

Sorry! I goofed .Its Newman Tools and you won't missed it. Please PM
e-address and I'll mail table. Same is self-explanantory. There are 8 cutters per Module for different diameters/no. of tooth count. Cutting Mitre gears is a wee bitty compromising. Ivan Law's Book will help.

Hi Todd,

Sorry! I goofed .Its Newman Tools and you won't missed it. Please PM
e-address and I'll mail table. Same is self-explanantory. There are 8 cutters per Module for different diameters/no. of tooth count. Cutting Mitre gears is a wee bitty compromising. Ivan Law's Book will help.

Hi Todd,
Attached is table for Imperial Gears.

IMG_0189.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Be aware that the chart Gus is showing in the previous post is the convention Ivan Law and most gear cutters use.

CTC Tools uses the reverse of that chart for their module 1 cutters (which are etched with the number and range of teeth).

This was a lesson I learned the hard way

Cheers,
Phil

Will be fun matching them for a project.

They are from old machinery it seems, so many match already but you are right, it could have been a nightmare. The old sewing machine gears are built very stoutly, but large for small projects.

Hi Guys,
Be aware that the chart Gus is showing in the previous post is the convention Ivan Law and most gear cutters use.

CTC Tools uses the reverse of that chart for their module 1 cutters (which are etched with the number and range of teeth).

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Phil,

Your are right. The Imperial and Metric table is reversed. Will PM and email complete data to Todd.

Hi Todd,
Please try go into Newman Tool Website for table. It is with their gear cutter
price list.

Hi Guys,

Cheers,
Phil
I found the book and a couple of others that look good from Abebooks.com I will get them tomorrow they don't use Verisign for charges or even paypal so I'll call to order them. $8.89 a book no shipping Amazon was $21.

Todd

Gus it's all your fault just ordered Gears and Gear Cutters, Dividing, and Tool and Cutter Sharpening $26.65 for all three free shipping from Abebooks.

Todd

I can never have enough books!

Reactions: gus
Gus it's all your fault just ordered Gears and Gear Cutters, Dividing, and Tool and Cutter Sharpening $26.65 for all three free shipping from Abebooks.

Todd

I can never have enough books!

Hi Todd,
You will have no regret buying these reference books. During my 32 years with Ingersoll-Rand Singapore 1969(rookie engineer,know/good for nothing)-----2001 bought hundreds of books for back up. Designed lots of equipment and production tools. All these books shipped to Ingersoll-Rand,Nanjing,China. The Chinese Engineers' standard of English has yet to come up to used these engineering reference books.

Ever since I started building model engines in 2004,I bought pretty lot of books again.Tubal Cain, Ivan Law and Harold Hall are my teachers.

Good luck and all success to your gear cutting venture. It is fun cutting good gears. Bad gears is part of learning curve.

Just got home 5 hours ago from Japan and back to nice and 'hotto"
Singapore. Hotto is hot in Japanese.

I've added a few file for the download area on gears and gear cutting plus a program and web site so check it out lots of great information!!!

Todd

Reactions: gus
Back