Gear Complete

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chiliviking

I decided to make a gear in Nylatron as a learning exercise as well as to give me the ability to use the powerfeed on my lathe to make a better gear of phenolic.

The process is very straight forward however very repititous as you go around the gear three times or so. The whole depth for a 16 DP gear is .135 so I went .065 on the first pass, followed by .130 on the second. A final finish pass of .135.

This was a very good learning experience and I am very happy with the results as it was my first attempt at gear making.

DSCN2730.jpg

When installed on the lathe it seems to operate smooth without excessive noise or vibration.

DSCN2731.jpg

Great job!! It will probably out last the lathe:eek:)

Wes

Looks Great!

Make 20 of them and offer them on eBay for $200
You'll make $4000 less material costs and be a hero to 20 lathe owners!

(Not that I've ever done anything like that. The rake411 who sold dozens of pin style flywheel
pullers for Briggs Model Y and B engines doesn't look anything like rake60.
lipsrsealed.gif
)

Rick

I used a 16 DP number 4 involute gear cutter I bought from MSC for about $25. I was going to take some pictures during the process however when working with Nylatron it gets a fuzzy mess all over it that looks like angel hair and you really can't see any detail.

It's a good feeling to fix a machine with your own ingenuity.

I had to make a pulley out of UHMW plastic for my brother's Audi TT window regulator today. Quick and easy with a little form tool I hand ground for the groove. The whole thing is better than new and didn't cost him a dime.

Cheers,

BW

It didn't cost him a dime, But it cost you thousands of dollars for all that equipment:eek:) That's my philosophy, Why buy a $10 part when you can spend $200 on a new tool to built that same part:eek:)

Hope you are all well:eek:) Wes

Nice job on the gear. Which Grade/type of Nylatron did you use? The Blue Number 6?
Could you post a pic of the cutter and maybe mock set up if possible some time.

Latest posts

Back