• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Gaging the market - Casting for the Sun-Planet Engine for Sale

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vederstein

Must do dumb things....
Reaction score
This is the first time I've made this offer. My sun-planet engine came out so well that I think I'll offer to do a run of the one casting that unavailable anywhere else for this engine.

If I get somewhere between four and eight people to commit to buying one, I'll do a short run. The other parts are barstock or available from other sources. The design is freely available in the Plans section of this website.

Please consider that these are not professional level castings. I'm doing this in front of my garage with casting materials made of play sand, pulverized kitty litter, and a 3D printed pattern. The photo below is typical of the casting finish quality to expect. (This particular casting was a failure because of misalignment between the cope and drag, but the casting quality is typical).

I'm asking for $48 US per casting. This price includes shipping for US customers. For international shipping PM me and we can discuss.

At this time I'm only interested in commitments. Don't pay me until I actually make the casting. If I get enough interest, I'll spend a weekend and do the runs.

I'll wait a couple of weeks (or until I have enough interest). If there's not enough interest, no harm done. If there's an overabundance of interest, first come first served. I don't want to do more than 10 of these. (Its quite the effort to make these entirely by hand).

Note that David Yatso (who lives only 6 miles from me) is building this engine and he may be willing to share his opinions on the quality.

...Ved.

DSC02660.JPG
DSC02661.JPG

Ok,

It's been a couple of weeks since I made the offer to do a run of castings.

Unfortunately, there was no interest. Therefore I'm dropping this endeavor.

...Ved.

Ok,

...Ved.
Oh, too bad, I just lookt at this for the first time. I really hate the way this forum is run. I wrote something to get interest in a subject--it HAD to be in the for-sale--wanted section. I got NOT a bit of interest. So I put the same thing somewhere where people were actually actively writing on a daily basis. I got bit by the moderators, altho, I also got a couple responses by doing that. And it lookt to me like other people were not exactly following the rules. Are those stricktly aluminum? If there were more interest, I might be able to cough up for two just to help you with the minimum. My guess is nobody saw this post.

Hi Ved, Guys,

I'm not really surprised that you haven't had any takers for your offer of castings ! This Covid19 thing is causing people to rethink their spending and with social distancing people are becoming reluctant to venture too far.

For the past nine weeks we have only been out four times and that was to go to the supermarket to buy foodstuffs. I do notice that the supermarkets have taken advantage and raised prices greatly particularly on the more popular items. Almost all the common imported stuff is not longer available and we have seen vegetables still on the shelves that we would have binned.

Oh, too bad, I just lookt at this for the first time. I really hate the way this forum is run. I wrote something to get interest in a subject--it HAD to be in the for-sale--wanted section. I got NOT a bit of interest. So I put the same thing somewhere where people were actually actively writing on a daily basis. I got bit by the moderators, altho, I also got a couple responses by doing that. And it lookt to me like other people were not exactly following the rules.

You were asking for advice, specifically about a tool - I would have thought the 'Tools' forum would have been the obvious choice for your thread myself. However, you chose to put it in a thread only those looking to buy or sell actually read and then spam 2 other completely unrelated threads with cut-and-pastes of your lathe query - this is never going to be acceptable behaviour.

If you see someone else breaking the rules then be a good member and hit the report button but don't use it as an excuse to flaunt the rules yourself and then cry when you get caught.

I would be interested if the plans come with

The plans for this engine are on this forum. I've included the drawings, 3D solid models, and the .stl files I used for the casting pattern. It's all there. Go to the end of this thread:

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/sun-planet-engine.31854/page-2
Strange, this thread is getting more traction after I gave up on the offer. So I guess I'll re-open. (That'll kill it for good.)

For one week ending May 25, if I get 4 to 8 people that want to buy the casting, it's $48 US with shipping within the continental US included. For international customers, it's $40 US + estimated shipping costs. Either PM me or respond to this thread if you're willing to pay for one.

After orders it'll probably take a couple of weeks to process because I need to find an entire day on an upcoming weekend with dry weather to do the castings. Given my success rate, I'll probably have to run twice as many as I ship.

That is all...
Ved.

Hi Ved, Guys,

I'm not really surprised that you haven't had any takers for your offer of castings ! This Covid19 thing is causing people to rethink their spending and with social distancing people are becoming reluctant to venture too far.

For the past nine weeks we have only been out four times and that was to go to the supermarket to buy foodstuffs. I do notice that the supermarkets have taken advantage and raised prices greatly particularly on the more popular items. Almost all the common imported stuff is not longer available and we have seen vegetables still on the shelves that we would have binned.

I have been out once since the Chinese New Year in February- when we 'isolated'
I went out because I had to. To the local hospital from and eye injection.
It was a gamble about going blind or going-- DEAD.

Dead is pretty final whilst surviving but being blind.

Well, I'm still here and note that more than one country is now going into recession.

And we are talking about 'hobbies' as if nothing else mattered.

Norman

You were asking for advice, specifically about a tool - I would have thought the 'Tools' forum would have been the obvious choice for your thread myself. However, you chose to put it in a thread only those looking to buy or sell actually read and then spam 2 other completely unrelated threads with cut-and-pastes of your lathe query - this is never going to be acceptable behaviour.

If you see someone else breaking the rules then be a good member and hit the report button but don't use it as an excuse to flaunt the rules yourself and then cry when you get caught.
It seems to me that you are the one crying. Acceptable behavior? Did I run some one over? did I rape someone? The only crybabies, it seems to me, are the moderators. Well, I didn't really understand the rules so, sorry, but it seems to me you are being very petty. And I certainly don't believe the word "spam" is a good use of the usual meaning of the word in this particular post. Furthermore, I'm not going to tattle on someone else just because I thimk they broke YOUR rules. I don't mind that much, I don't thimk it is such a big deal. However, it is nice that this forum is set up in certain categories and I have corresponded with some very nice people on some very interesting subjects.

Ok,

...Ved.
I'll commit to a minimum of one. If there is not enough response, I will take two if it gets you up to the minimum of four as you say in your post elsewehre. I could not find the plans you spoke about. I have a hard time, some times of navigating in this forum. I am going thru old mags and other works and making drawings in CAD but I am finding some of the old stuff was simply left up to the imaginer, (Is that a word?), the main dimensions being given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here we go again---------copyright
Please explain. I don't have a clue as to what you are refering to. As for myself, all things I am doing are in public domain. After I make NEW drawings, the NEW drawings that I make are copyrightable but never the old ones that I drew them from. As I make changes and modifications to almost all the engines I draw it is perfectly legal to do this. For things that are still in copyright protection, I don't even bother with. there is SO MUCH stuff out there that is available past copyright that no-one doing what we are doing need ever bother with the stuff that is copyrighted. On the other hand, there may be someone like me who has drawn up something from an old catalog or mag or whatever and then copyrights THAT--that is legal, however, it is NOT legal for that person to claim complete copyright over the OLD engineering. They cannot do that, altho' many have tried.

So, I don't know what you are referring to--please enlighten

I don't want to hijack this thread on this but it does need a response.
It seems to me that you are the one crying. Acceptable behavior? Did I run some one over? did I rape someone? The only crybabies, it seems to me, are the moderators.
You received a private note about about not copy-and-pasting the same post in multiple threads - and your posts were even left intact - in an attempt to enlighten you about the rules. Your response to this was to publicly post about how you "got bit by the moderators" and suggested what you were doing was fine because others weren't following rules.

Well, I didn't really understand the rules so, sorry, but it seems to me you are being very petty. And I certainly don't believe the word "spam" is a good use of the usual meaning of the word in this particular post.

It is not 'petty' to stop people posting multiple copied posts in many and varied threads just hoping to elicit a response. Your original post asking about a lathe choice was fine where it was (although as I suggested if it had been in a more appropriate sub-forum it might have gotten more attention) but it did not relate at all to the other threads you copied it into which were about things like reaming holes and such. Just because you want an answer does not mean you can trample over others' threads with unwanted, copied posts (SPAM).

And to address your latest concern, we take copyright very seriously here. We don't post links to questionable sites and we do not share copyrighted materials on the forum at all so the link you provided is not acceptable and has been removed. Also, just FYI, whatever drawings you produce you admit are based on other designs ("After I make NEW drawings, the NEW drawings that I make are copyrightable but never the old ones that I drew them from. As I make changes and modifications to almost all the engines I draw it is perfectly legal to do this "). These "new" drawings would be considered derivative works and would certainly be covered under the copyright of the original author of the drawings you based them on. As US copyright for most things extends to 70 years after the death of the original author, it is very likely that any derivative works you are producing will NOT be legal to post and share here.

If you want to argue these points some more then feel free to private message me but please move this conversation away from this thread so we don't hijack it any further.

Well, here we go again---------copyright
I don't want to hijack this thread on this but it does need a response.

You received a private note about about not copy-and-pasting the same post in multiple threads - and your posts were even left intact - in an attempt to enlighten you about the rules. Your response to this was to publicly post about how you "got bit by the moderators" and suggested what you were doing was fine because others weren't following rules.

It is not 'petty' to stop people posting multiple copied posts in many and varied threads just hoping to elicit a response. Your original post asking about a lathe choice was fine where it was (although as I suggested if it had been in a more appropriate sub-forum it might have gotten more attention) but it did not relate at all to the other threads you copied it into which were about things like reaming holes and such. Just because you want an answer does not mean you can trample over others' threads with unwanted, copied posts (SPAM).

And to address your latest concern, we take copyright very seriously here. We don't post links to questionable sites and we do not share copyrighted materials on the forum at all so the link you provided is not acceptable and has been removed. Also, just FYI, whatever drawings you produce you admit are based on other designs ("After I make NEW drawings, the NEW drawings that I make are copyrightable but never the old ones that I drew them from. As I make changes and modifications to almost all the engines I draw it is perfectly legal to do this "). These "new" drawings would be considered derivative works and would certainly be covered under the copyright of the original author of the drawings you based them on. As US copyright for most things extends to 70 years after the death of the original author, it is very likely that any derivative works you are producing will NOT be legal to post and share here.

If you want to argue these points some more then feel free to private message me but please move this conversation away from this thread so we don't hijack it any further.
I don't know how to send a private note. Yes, I don't want to air your dirty laundry here, so let me know how to send a note to you. For your info:

302. Duration of copyright: Works created on or after January 1, 19784
(a) In General.—Copyright in a work created on or after January 1, 1978, subsists from its creation and, except as provided by the following subsections, endures for a term consisting of the life of the author and 70 years after the author’s death.

Everything before 1978 has a much shorter lifetime.

Ok,

...Ved.
So, Ved, are you getting enough response to make those castings? I would certainly like to know. I have to save my pennies for it if you are going to do it. I live in Washington, how far is that? I want to keep the postage down.

I don't know how to send a private note. Yes, I don't want to air your dirty laundry here, so let me know how to send a note to you.
Click on my name under my avatar and hit 'Start a Conversation', then, once you've typed the message, hit the 'Start a Conversation' button at the bottom of the message to send it.

302. Duration of copyright: Works created on or after January 1, 19784
(a) In General.—Copyright in a work created on or after January 1, 1978, subsists from its creation and, except as provided by the following subsections, endures for a term consisting of the life of the author and 70 years after the author’s death.

Everything before 1978 has a much shorter lifetime.

Everything, covered by US copyright alone, that was not renewed by 1964 would now be in the public domain, but anything renewed before 1964 is likely still covered by the Copyright Act of 1976. As goldstar says, other international copyrights exist and the US is a signatory to adhering to these copyrights as well.

Latest posts

Back