G540 to X2 spindle control ??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Help I used these directions.
http://pminmo.com/g540-vfdThey seem straight forward.
spindle runs slow I an guessing maybee150rpm will not speed up or slow \under control there is no control. I even tried loading this guys xml file still no workee. Help!!! i goggled and read but found no real help.
I like spent most or the day on it and am frustrated!!!
Tin

Installed the latest lock down of mach 3 today and the latest g540 xml file from gecko.(540VFD) still no joy. looks like I will stick to manual spindle control at least for now . need to make parts that is why I built this thing.
wish I had money and space for 3 machines
a working Kx1
manual machine
and a project machine to learn the build on.
A longer harder journey than expected but It will pay off.
The weathered oak is the strongest tree of the forest.
Tin

Tin,

Are you using a Prox sensor for spindle speed pick up?

Matt

I'm been looking into VFD for my lathe and mill. I asked the guy who I got my G540 and control sys from, for a so called shopping list to accomplish this.

He has done this before, and he said that there needs to be a speed sensor for the g540 to regulate the speed.

I know nothing about this stuff. This info is from a guy who has helped me through any problem I've had with Mach 3 and anyother cnc related questions.

Matt

Spindle control is a bit of a problem to get right.

You do NOT need a spindle sensor. Mach generates the output signal just like it does the step signals, without feedback. The sensor is needed to do threading on a lathe, and its nice to have because it shows actual RPM.

There are two ways to get an output- Step and Dir or PWM. You select which you are using on the Ports and Pins spindle tab.

You must also set pins for the signal on the motor output tab.

I think the G540 is designed for the PWM output.

I have used both with some success on my lathe which has a VFD and a CNC4PC spindle speed board. If I ever buy another board Ill get the PMDX, not CNC4PC.

In the last week or so Brian has made some changes to the PWM output and the yahoo list seems to think its working OK now.

RonGinger said:
Spindle control is a bit of a problem to get right.

You do NOT need a spindle sensor. Mach generates the output signal just like it does the step signals, without feedback. The sensor is needed to do threading on a lathe, and its nice to have because it shows actual RPM.

There are two ways to get an output- Step and Dir or PWM. You select which you are using on the Ports and Pins spindle tab.

You must also set pins for the signal on the motor output tab.

I think the G540 is designed for the PWM output.

I have used both with some success on my lathe which has a VFD and a CNC4PC spindle speed board. If I ever buy another board Ill get the PMDX, not CNC4PC.

In the last week or so Brian has made some changes to the PWM output and the yahoo list seems to think its working OK now.

Thanks Ron for the insight. I Wanted to thread on my lathe, so thats why he said I need the sensor. I didn't ask why, just figured I need it. As I stated before, I know nothing ;)

Matt

Back