G-Code

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnesrickw

Reaction score
Looking ahead, I may want a CNC minimill. I used to program G-code "freehand" and using WinTools from an imported CAD file. That was 13 years ago. I have no idea what is available out there now and what is compatible with what. Looking for cheap and simple, and runs off a PC. I'm fine with just running G-code, but if there is something new, I'm interested. Most likely I will be converting a Taig Mill to CNC. Any suggestions?

You may want to look at the new Mill Wizard from the people who do mach 3 . Ron Ginger who posts here programmed it. It is a stand alone windows program to generate G code. It is conversational pick an operation from the menu and plug in numbers
Tool size dimensions etc. Download is free and encouraged $ 75 if you like it.
IIRC you will need the licence to actually cut parts.

http://www.cambam.info/ is aCAM program that helps you convert drawings to G-code

again free download and $150 for a licence.

Tin

I and several others on this board use CamBam for g-code generation. Lots of support via a forum, plus ongoing improvements by the author.

Is this thread about Gcode generators, where CamBam and wizards fit, or is it a question of gcode to motion controllers, like mach3 or linuxcnc?

Like Ron Ginger, I am a bit confused as to what you are asking.

If you are asking about Gcode creation I would have to add another thumbs up for CamBam. There was a little bit of a learning curve. With the help of the flock at the CamBam forum I thrilled with the results with it.

If you are asking about a machine controller to run the Gcode Mach3 or the new Mach4 just flat out works. The bonus is that it is extremely popular so if you need some help there are many out there that can help.

Actually I want to know how I can write a G-Code program on my laptop that has Windows 7 as an O7, and having it control a Taig mill set up for CNC. So both I guess. Sounds like I need a computer to talk to a controller to talk to the stepper motors on a mill?

I'll look into the ones mentioned above as a start. Thanks of the point.

I didn't think about laptop shared drivers making run "rough". Thanks for the heads-up. And thanks everyone for the great advice.

Latest posts

Back