Fusion 360 replacement

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same problem !
All is not lost i got mine back but it took a good part of an hour of stuffing around and in the end i fluked it i think .
I was fiddling around with some of the icons at the top of the left panel where your work is usually displayed and found if i clicked one of these my work would reappear then disappear again almost instantly - leaving the panel empty again - this frustrated me to the point where i was contemplating gutting the computer . Damned if i can remember what i did but they eventually returned , i think fusion has just removed the link between this panel and the folder where your work is really stored so try in there and i think as you open each file they return to the panel where they used to be . I know that when they did return they were ghosted and i had to open each one to get them back to their previous state .
I have no used for this stupid team thing and it is forced upon you by this stupid pop up message that keeps appearing [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35].
If this didn’t work i aways have a back up set on my pc in a folder that is seperate to any fusion files so i can call on them if Fusion gets wiped .
Ever since windos 95 (absolute crap of course) I have kept MULTIPLE back ups, one on CD. You must not trust any single media with your stuff. What is this "team" stuff--is it an effort to put your stuff in the "cloud"? I will not put my stuff in the "cloud"--I GUARANTEE! it will some day be "stolen" by persons unknown, or "lost" by some unknown method. Your intellecdtual property is too valuable to allow someone else to "protect" it for you. Yeah, protect it for you like a banker protects your house when the market crashes.

As I said, there is a learning curve! :)

Well, I suppose there is a learning curve with Fusion 360 as well, but as best I can tell it is steeper with FreeCAD. Once you begin to get the hang of it, though, it generally works well. As I alluded to above, one thing to be aware of is that FreeCAD is on a rapid development curve, so features that are missing today may well be in place before the year is out - actually, probably are already in place if you want to try the "development" version, but I generally stay with the "stable" version.
I use all kinds of CADs but my son got Fusion and I didn't have the patience to try to get it. Actually, it might have been that the info was stored "in the cloud" which I will not do under any circumstances. No way! It goes on MY storage media or not at all. that cloud crap is just an invitation for intellecdtual theft--do you thimk for a moment that the owners of the "cloud" media don't have the ability to hack it? If YOU had a computer that one of your friends saved information on, do yuou thimk you could hack it? Well you could.

It's all a bloody mess.
You spend hours & hours trying to learn new software (insert your favorite here), than, the next version comes out (& sometimes won t open the old files you've created).
This is how the world turns..
Companies (mainly the LARGE ones, pay large (extortion?) Fees to run their software.
I appreciate what some companies due to promote their software, but it only lasts awhile. Draftsight, other online the other ones...
Only a matter of time before Fusion 360 Ford this route. Maybe not now, but when the hammer drops & you can't open your files, what will you do?

“Easy to learn” should be banned from the English language. Nuclear Physics is easy to learn too, for some people. It depends on your background and ability. I find Fusion 360 impossible to understand. Same with Nuclear Physics.

Can anyone explain the difference between Fusion 360 and Inventor?
I can explain Nuclear Fusion but not Fusion 360--does that help?

"Can anyone explain the difference between Fusion 360 and Inventor?"
How much money do you have to spend?
AutoDesk (as most) has a large customer base that pay the "permissions" of using their software. As long as you pay "maintenance" fees every year, you will receive the latest "updates" (program files for things they should have got right the first time).
Inventor will make you part of the "in crowd" & get the benefits described above.

But don't take my word for it, check out what they have to offer, compare Soliworks, Pro-E, inventor, 360, Solidedge..

Tell them you're interested in it for "hobby use" & let me know how quickly they respond to you.

"AutoDesk (as most) has a large customer base that pay the "permissions" of using their software. As long as you pay "maintenance" fees every year, you will receive the latest "updates" (program files for things they should have got right the first time).
Inventor will make you part of the "in crowd" & get the benefits described above.

But don't take my word for it, check out what they have to offer, compare Soliworks, Pro-E, inventor, 360, Solidedge..

Tell them you're interested in it for "hobby use" & let me know how quickly they respond to you.
Personally, I'm a fan of Fusion 360, but there is a version of SolidEdge 3D that is free for hobbyists, it's called SolidEdge Community Edition and can be downloaded from ***HERE***

SolidEdge Community Edition is reported to be the bees knees by some UK users, but if it does follow the same route as Draftsight did you will still retain any files completed so all is not lost.

xpylonracer

Hi
Not sure if this will be of any use. I was a user and fan of Coreldraw for years. I owned a legit copy that I was happy with, it did every thing I needed. After years of happily using Windows XP my old computer died. I invested in a new all singing and dancing PC that came with windows 10 pre installed. Great bit of kit but guess what, the Coreldraw version I have doesn't work on windows 10!!!!! I contacted Coreldraw who said that as an existing user they could upgrade me to a new version at the special offer price of £600!!! Shove it. Unfortunately the new version won't open the old files (which are all saved in Coreldraws own format) so I have years of work that I can't get at. To get round the problem I now have an old computer in my workshop which runs on XP which is great I can now open all my old files. Not very convenient on a winters night when I want to sit in the comfort of my home and do a bit of drawing. To get to the point I came across a programme called Inkscape. Its a free download and is open source, has no restrictions and so far with my limited computer skills I have managed to do a few drawings. Takes a bit of learning, things are not where you think they are but there of loads of videos and tutorials out there.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rich

Hi
Not sure if this will be of any use. I was a user and fan of Coreldraw for years. I owned a legit copy that I was happy with, it did every thing I needed. After years of happily using Windows XP my old computer died. I invested in a new all singing and dancing PC that came with windows 10 pre installed. Great bit of kit but guess what, the Coreldraw version I have doesn't work on windows 10!!!!! I contacted Coreldraw who said that as an existing user they could upgrade me to a new version at the special offer price of £600!!! Shove it. Unfortunately the new version won't open the old files (which are all saved in Coreldraws own format) so I have years of work that I can't get at. To get round the problem I now have an old computer in my workshop which runs on XP which is great I can now open all my old files. Not very convenient on a winters night when I want to sit in the comfort of my home and do a bit of drawing. To get to the point I came across a programme called Inkscape. Its a free download and is open source, has no restrictions and so far with my limited computer skills I have managed to do a few drawings. Takes a bit of learning, things are not where you think they are but there of loads of videos and tutorials out there.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rich
Hi Rich, Where abouts are you, I am a PC Tech of 30 years, have a few old Win XP machines still kicking around you could have. If not I am sure somebody local to you has one they don't want. Check Facebook Marketplace. At least you could still read your files maybe even convert them to something current. Cheers Peter

Rich, I wonder if LibreDraw would open your old CorelDraw files? I think there is some relationship - maybe - between the LibreOffice suite and some of the older Corel software. Maybe. Large grain of salt time, but ... maybe.

In any case, LibreOffice is free and open source, so it won't hurt to download it and see!

On edit: a little Google searching indicates that both LibreDraw and Inkscape can open .cdr (CorelDraw) files. Both of these are free & open source vector graphics programs. I use Inkscape and find it does everything I need, and more.

Interestingly, the Google search also indicated that GIMP can open .cdr files. GIMP is not a vector graphics program; it operates on the bitmap / pixels - think Photoshop instead of Illustrator. So presumably what you would get would be a bitmap version of your drawing.

If you would rather not download programs just to try, PM me - I have all of these programs.* If you want to send a file or two to me via email, I can see how well any of these actually work with .cdr files.

*Caveat: I never really use LibreDraw, just because Inkscape is so good, but it comes with the LIbreOffice package, of which I use the rest. I do use GIMP and Inkscape fairly often.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm a fan of Fusion 360, but there is a version of SolidEdge 3D that is free for hobbyists, it's called SolidEdge Community Edition and can be downloaded from ***HERE***
Second that, I like it too. I use CATIA V5 and 3D Experience at work. Fusion gives me parametric 3D modelling, simulation and CAM for zero cost. Worst thing for me was customising the CAM post processor for my home built CNC mill controlled by LinuxCNC

Latest posts

Back