Funace experiment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RobWilson

Hi here are some photos of a furnace i knocked up this weekend, i had quite a few fire bricks lying around so i thought
i would make a square furnace as it is allot less work than making a round one and as i had all the materials to hand then it would only cost me some time and i need a bigger Furnace.
The furnace works well and melts iron no problem,well just one with the bricks not sealed there is some smoke( lots of smoke the wife thinks) when running on oil ,easy fix. This is work in progress
Rob

Certainly given me an idea for my furncae (among a long list of too doo's). Did you consider cementing with fire cement the joints? Or don't you get any heat or flame leakage? Interesting post look forward to seeing some results of its use.

MM

looking good rob. is that a graphite crucible i spotted???

RobWilson said:
It is ,This one , this is why i need a bigger furnace.
i can understand that! as long as you dont break up any lathes.lol lol seriously the critics that put down a certain person for doing so didnt realize that a pattern had been made and to have the correct grade of iron the original worn peices were remelted into new parts. it had nothing to do with breaking up lathes but the restoration of them. what are you going to cast out of iron?? :)

Your constructions seem very nice and "trim", well thought-out. It also looks like you have access to some sheet metal facilities. Is metal fabrication something you do other than just a hobby?

What are you firing the furnace with?

Thanks,
-Sparky

Rob, Your furnace looks a very commendable project, In the brass foundry, where i worked we had big "pit fires" These were coke fired and took a crucible which held 112 lbs capacity, The joints in our furnace(between the brick faces) were given the smallest slick of fine patent fire cement possible, This was called Macsiccar 3, Which in those days, was produced by the late firm of G.J.Stein & Co, But you seem to be doing alright with just the bricks laying on each other In those days, as the bricks on another furnace which was gas fired, used to burn away, i used to give the faces a coating of this stuff at the weekend and make up the eroded &burned sections, and thus kept the show on the road until the next lining was scheduled.
What type of oil are you using, and what form of burner? I read some time ago an article by a man, who was breaking up really nice old machines-- Lathes etc to make a home made contraption, It struck me as pure vandalism, & badness, breaking up nice machines people were willing to preserve for future generations, Fair do,s in breaking up scrap iron of no interest, which the scrappers will gladly weigh out for one quite willingly

Latest posts

Back