Fuels

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parksy

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi all

A couple of random questions regarding fuels. I've run one of my engines on pre mixed nitro fuel bought from a hobby shop which is a blend of nitro and oils and other things and I've noticed that the blow-by which is mostly oil by the looks tarnishes metal. What is causing this?

I have heard Coleman fuel being used for engines, what exactly is this kind of fuel? I haven't heard of it here in Australia.

Is there a preferred fuel used for a four stroke engine? Especially if slow operation is desired.

Cheers

Andy

Andy, you will find Coleman fuel at any camping shop here in Australia. The coleman stove is also known as a petrol stove. They run on petrol but they also sell their own fuel. Sorry but I can't help with the other questions.

I race gasoline engine powered model boats. We have done a lot of fuel and oil testing in these 26 to 35 cc two stroke engines. Because the compression ratio is low, the octane rating doesn't matter. Coleman fuel at about 50 octane runs fine. Ethanol can be hard on the Walbro carb diaphragms, but doesn't add power. The needle settings need to be richer as more ethanol is added. Below is a copy of a series of tests we ran. The text in red wasn't published, but was submitted to NAMBA officers to show the results of fuel cheating.

Lohring Miller

View attachment Gasoline and cheating.pdf

Coleman fuel, also known as Naptha gas, also known as white gas. It is clear and colorless, and when burns has very little perceptible odor after burning..

Shellite from Mitre 10 or Bunnings stores is the same fuel i believe.

Mr. Miller,
A very interesting study you attached. Thanks.
gbritnell

Thank you all. Appreciate the comments and advice. Gave the petrol and wd40 fuel a go and it's a lot easier to start than on nitro fuel.

Thank you all. Appreciate the comments and advice. Gave the petrol and wd40 fuel a go and it's a lot easier to start than on nitro fuel.

If you use a premium gas it smells better. The higher the octane the less offensive to the nose. I use 110 octane at the indoor shows and the crowd loves it. Still have to worry about ventilation at any octane. 110 race fuel is still five bucks cheaper a gallon than white gas/coleman

Latest posts

Back