Frequency converter for Emcomat 7 lathe?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tindar

Reaction score
Hi
Im looking for a frequency converter to run my Emcomat 7 lathe with 3-phase motor in my shop with 1-phase 220V outlet only
The motor is marked with 380V and its a 3-phase.

My question to anyone familiar with Emcomat 7 lathes is what type of frequency converter I need.

- Input 1-phase 220V Output 3-phase 3x220V?

Is the motor switchable to 3x220V even though marked with 380V?

cheers

60/50 x 380V is 456V, which means you are close to following proper V/Hz if you powered the motor with 440V. If the motor is dual voltage and can be wired for 190V, you should be good to go on 220V. If the motor is single voltage, look for a 220:440 step-up transformer and a 440-V VFD. If you find a fractional-horsepower 440-V VFD, make sure it will work with single-phase input if it is nominally a 3-phase VFD.

This came up on another forum & I recall the consensus was less expensive to buy a VFD motor/control box package than a phase converter. I'm sure the devil is in the details of 'how much' but I for one would sure enjoy the benefits of VFD control.

What is the nominal HP of motor in the lathe presently?

If the 3-phase motor is dual speed like the single phase in my old Emcomat 8.6 then I think you may have problems converting.

JasonB yes its a dual speed motor. Too bad, why is that a problem?
PeterTha Its a 0.5 HP motor.

I have droped the frequecy coverter route and instead Im anout to buy a 220V 1-phase motor for the Emcomat 7. Does anyone know if the 220V motor can replace my old 380V motor? There is a wire sceme in the manual showing how to connect both motors but Im not sure if the push buttons are the same for both 220V/380V models. Thanks!

If the starter has a voltage operated coil it will no doubt match the original 380v supply voltage, unless the control circuit is transformer fed at a low voltage.
If not transformer fed you need to check the voltage rating of any coil, maybe have to change to a lower operating voltage type.

xpylonracer

Thanks @xpylonracer. I don't know that much about the starter but I try and find out. Guess Im looking for someone that did this before. oh well...

If you are going to replace the motor, have you considered using a 3 phase motor and VFD combination? 'Normal' 3 phase motors are possibly cheaper than 1 phase, VFDs are now quite inexpensive; the added advantages of this route have been discussed many times.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I helped one of the local high school robotics shops re-power an Enco Compact 10 from three to single phase. The original motor was two-speed three-phase. They bought an OEM two-speed, single-phase motor off eBay. While not cheap, the change was relatively painless. The OEM motors are very compact and have special mountings, so splicing in another motor would have involved nontrivial surgery, not to mention all of the work associated with adapting the existing controls to a VFD.

IMG_20180613_163753972.jpg
IMG_20180613_190759617_LL.jpg
IMG_20180421_144323165.jpg
IMG_20180421_141906803.jpg
Is have a 3 phase 0.75 kW motor and a VFD.
The VFD is 1 phase 240 in and 3 phase 240 out.
The shaft was too big, so i made it smaller and machined a few cool ribs away.

Last edited:
Back