FreeCad blunder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John:

I THINK those are the same Icons I have been using since the cube went away. That's one of the things I'm NOT that fond of in FreeCad, it seems like you have to switch between workbenches and toolbars - a LOT. As a complete Newb it's hard to know/remember that you have to switch, and what you need to switch to.

I've seen some of the Mango Jelly stuff, and I liked it. Between his stuff, and Joko Engineering they pretty much walk you through everything. I have discovered that in TRYING to get the nav cube back I have REALLY made a hash out of my config. A lot of the time now when I am trying to follow along with a tutorial, I find that my screen doesn't look anything like the screen in the tutorial - as in I can't get to the options/commands that they are using. Just another reason that I need to get back to a truly fresh install.

Given your 'druthers, would you rather use Geek, or Jet? I haven't downloaded either yet and am trying to make an informed decision.

Don

Don,
Yes, Joko Engineering is also a good site. Mostly I work in the Part Design and Sketcher Workbenches. Eventually you may want to make drawings then it's the Tech Draw workbench and that can be challenging but tutorials by either of the above help greatly.

Incidentally, what are you intending to use F/C for? I do both 3D printing on a small, cheap Monoprice printer also drawing to alter imperial drawings to suit my 95% metric tooling.

As for Geek or Jet, I do use Geek to uninstall software Most times, then on a less than regular basis run Jet to clear stuff left by windows updates and other temporary files or if I do use the software's own uninstall app. Geek is about 6mb Jet 3mb download. Just a note that I only use the free version of Geek.

John B

John:

I've been using DesignSpark 3D Mechanical when I needed to do any 3D modeling, I'm running version 4.0 now but I'm seriously considering going to 5.0. DesignSpark uses direct modeling rather that parametric modeling, but version 5.0 gives you the option of adding constraints.

DesignSpark is a freebie from of all people, Allied Electronics. From what I've been able to figure out, DesignSpark is a dumbed down version of SpaceClaim. My biggest complaint about DesignSpark is that you can't mirror a 3D object. Yes, you can set up a mirror line and create a pair 3D objects about that mirror line, but if you somehow break that mirror line link, there's no getting it back. DesignSpark also has trouble with fillets on complex curves, or at least I haven't discovered the secret handshake that will allow me to do it.

What do I want to use F/C for? I build RC models, and I 3D print some of the parts. I really-REALLY want to build an RC model of Ford's Big Red, their 1964 gas turbine concept truck shown at the World's Fair that year.
Big Red e-mail.jpg

The tractor isn't TOO complex, that's where I'm starting. I've been gathering all the images that I can find. There's a lot of info out there on the Inter-webb, but it's mostly the same stuff over and over.

Big Red still exists, in a private collection, and has an interesting, and somewhat colorful history. Big Red found For some reason I'm attracted to the odd-balls.

Don

John:

I THINK those are the same Icons I have been using since the cube went away. That's one of the things I'm NOT that fond of in FreeCad, it seems like you have to switch between workbenches and toolbars - a LOT. As a complete Newb it's hard to know/remember that you have to switch, and what you need to switch to.

I've seen some of the Mango Jelly stuff, and I liked it. Between his stuff, and Joko Engineering they pretty much walk you through everything. I have discovered that in TRYING to get the nav cube back I have REALLY made a hash out of my config. A lot of the time now when I am trying to follow along with a tutorial, I find that my screen doesn't look anything like the screen in the tutorial - as in I can't get to the options/commands that they are using. Just another reason that I need to get back to a truly fresh install.

Given your 'druthers, would you rather use Geek, or Jet? I haven't downloaded either yet and am trying to make an informed decision.

Don

Don, one of the things I didn't realize for quite some time in my FreeCAD journey is that workbenches serve as pre-defined collections of related tools ... but you can make your own collection(s), or modify the existing ones. In other words, if you mostly work in Part Design, but just need one or two tools from the Parts workbench, you can add them to Part Design and never have to switch.

Hi Don,
I have recently tried DS Mechanical V5 but am frustrated as I have not yet figured out how to change dimensions after re-opening a model. As my mentor from my Solid Works messing about said, "settle on one system and learn to use it". Free CAD is my go to, has its limitations and quirks but the price is hard to beat.

I have seen some RC big trucks at the local agricultural show where my club runs a yearly display of model engines except Covid lock-downs the last two years and found them fascinating.
Big Red certainly looks a great one to model, I agree that Odd Ball models are the fascinating ones.
Big Red seems to have an interesting wheel mix of 2 and 4 pairs.

John:

Some of the various pictures of Big Red seem to show a mix of duals and super singles, especially the 3/4 views showing tractor and the double trailers - but I think it's just the camera angle. The pictures that I have seen of the truck on display at various locations all seem to suggest that they normally used super singles for the drivers, and on the trailers. I know some of the restoration pictures show a mix of duals and singles, but I think that was just because they needed to get some tires under Big Red and that was what they had available.

I just loaded DSM v5 last night and I am still exploring it. I'm hoping that by using the constraints in v5, it will let me ease my way into parametric modeling. Maybe I'll be able to make a relatively smooth transition from DSM v4, into DSM v5, into FreeCad? There's no doubt about it, FreeCad has WAYYYY more power and sophistication than DSM.

RE changing the dimensions in v5, in the tutorials I watched it looked like double clicking on the dimension allowed you to change it? (Haven't got that far in v5 yet.)

Don

It's odd, I can't imagine using FreeCAD without using constraints, but I don't get on with them in DSM5.

Thanks for the link Don, now it makes sense. Just need to remember to save sketch in 2D mode before making it 3D.

Makes Free CAD a much better choice for me at least because being parametric it's very easy to change dimensions by going to the relevant part of the tree then the sketch is available. The caveat is you need to be careful in your work flow or risk breaking the model. Then it becomes a search to see what else needs changing.

The bees knees though is to think through your model project and create a spread sheet of dimensions and the formula in the dimension will update just by changing the values in the spreadsheet. Quite a bit further down the learning adventure though but great once you get the hang of it. Really good if you are creating something that you want to make in different sizes.

BTW, I'm no expert on FreeCad just commenting from my experience using it.
Keep plugging away doing simple stuff in FreeCAD and following some of the tutorials skipping through some of the bits that get repeated as they are created for beginners so often repeat steps.

John B

I've been using Freecad off and on for several years now, but since my shop time has been severely limited the last few months it has been a good time to get more proficient in my CAD use. I think I've finally gotten to the point where I can draw the simple objects I make in the shop, check fitments and produce shop plans.

One thing I do recommend is using the latest version, which right now is 0.20. The older versions of Freecad aren't more stable, they just have more bugs and less features. Also, they changed almost all the keyboard shortcuts with the newest version so if you are just learning you want to start there to avoid frustration. I'm even beyond that as I'm using the RealThunder's LinkBranch with all the topology naming fixes.

Lately I've been going through Solidworks tutorial PDF book I found online and making the various objects. Below is a Freecad screenshot of the first assembly described in the book.

freecad1.jpg

Just search for "part and assembly modeling" in google and it's nearly the first link, Huei-Huang Lee is the author.

I have used FreeCAD on and off for a couple of years. I still use it to generate dimensioned drawings to use in the shop, but I have found OpenSCAD to be very friendly for creating 3D models and output files to use in my 3D printer. It is completely parametric and once I got used to it, much easier to create 3D models of just about anything. It is free for download and is in active development with a wide user base and excellent community support. There are plenty of libraries to use for things like internal and external threads and fan blades.

I completed the tutorial model that was shown in an earlier post. I think a few constraints are a bit off, but it's working well enough for my first assembly model in Freecad. I definitely learned a few things on the way.

freecad2.jpg

I'm going to take a CAD break for a bit and then work on modeling a simple steam engine that I've already built complete with a full working assembly and detailed shop plans. At that point I'll have learned most of the CAD skills I will need for the immediate future. I also won't have to worry about Autodesk raising the price. :)

Latest posts

Back