Free software from design to manufacturing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurent_parti

Reaction score
Hello all,

I use many different free softs from Design to Manufacturing. I guess it can help some of you:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA6c8xSHXIk[/ame]

Laurent
:D

So what program do you use for

1) CAD ?

2) cam ?

3)) CNC controller ? looks like linix cnc

Are they all linux based sofware can be the expensive part of a cnc system especially the cam end of things.
So norw you have our attention tell us more.
Tin

I agree, I'm wanting to see the "checklist" of what you're using.

Last edited:
I downloaded and did some testing with free cad seems nice for OS software. I am used to Alibre at least some.

There is lot to learn and a lot of features on FC . seems fairly user friendly at least for someone with a little parametric experience.
Tin

Indeed Tin Falcon,

FreeCAD is easy to use (there is some tuto on youtube to shortcut the learning curve) and the team is still working all the days on it. On there website they work on bugs but also accept proposal to modify the soft.

thanks I need to look into the tutorials . the first Few sessions I tried a few things and it worked well then as i tried other things I hit a wall.
I admit distracted with kife an have not gotten back into it.

I downloaded heekscad/cam as well not impressed could not make much or it. And Still a lot to learn on albre.

Tin

Hi Tin,

Regarding FreeCAD, sometimes, I have the same feeling, hitting a wall but as the team is working all the day on it, there is some step running.
For heekscad, I had the same experience and was not able to do anything with. That's why I go with PyCAM (little time to take it in hand) and sometime I use a commercial soft when PyCAM does not give me the G-code I wish (lol)

;)

I'm using Proge CAD and think it's quite good.

John.

Thanks John,

Great soft, I used the Free evaluation for making plate drilling plan for my actual CNC.
FreeCAD has something I like a lot is the parametric way of creating a 3D model. It means, it is far quick to create a part and very easy to modify it !

Thanks Laurent,

I've tried free CAD before but I didn't know (just barely now) how to use the 3D aspect of it and I was already comfortable with Proge CAD so I never really took off with it. I'll have another crack at it again and see what happens. But I'm in love with Proge CAD smart (free version) so that will probably still be my 2D drafting software of choice.

Thanks again,
John.

Hi

Very pleased to read this thread and find Freecad, thank you.

After watching a few tutorials I found getting started with freecad easy. Allot to learn yet but it looks very functional, editing much easier than others I have tried. I think I will be staying with freecad. with others I have found editing less than convenient.

I perceive Freecad as needing less of a learning curve.

Thanks
Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I'm glad it will help you.

The FreeCAD team is under very active development and each week they improve the soft !

They even work on a CAM module, a dream when you have a CNC !

Laurent.

Back