Free shaper and mill plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a site to get FREE plans for a shaper or vertical mill? The more I look at the price of a knew one, the more my wallet hurts. Building one might be cheaper, and I could customize the plans to fit my needs.

Thanks,
Wes

Ok I guess there are none that are free. Any I could buy?

Wes

Hmmmm. ??? I have a question Wes; how are you going to build a mill unless you already have one to do the machine work?

Making one out of bar stock would take a pretty good sized mill and really large chunks of metal. Before you find plans why not estimate the size of the metal pieces you will need and look up the prices at an online metal supplier. When you total the cost of the materials and shipping a new mill might not look all that expensive.

Always estimate the materials, tooling and labor before making the first step on any project. If you are anything like me add 30 percent to the materials to allow for the parts you have to make twice. ;D

Black85vette, me and me Dad own a machine and fab. shop and deal in all kinds of steel. The price won't be a problem there because we order at least 20, 15 foot sections of maybe 10 different shapes and types of steel every week. That cuts down shiping and price of the steel.
xo18thfa,(whatever that means?) I looked at the at the lindsay site and ordered about 10 books. Thanks for that tip.

I'll try to down load the plans given here and see what they look like.

Thanks,
Wes

wes said:
me and me Dad own a machine and fab. shop and deal in all kinds of steel.

OK. Those additional resources make a huge difference. :eek: :eek:

black85vette said:
OK. Those additional resources make a huge difference. :eek: :eek:

Yes they do.

The 6" shaper plans would be some thing to start with, and I have the hand shaper plans already.

I would still like some vertical mill plans if possible.

Wes,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dwmill/

It's the Yahoo group for the Dore Westbury mill.

The drawings are in the files section.

img0.gif

John S.

Not unless there are some under a bench somewhere as an unfinished project.

Ivan Law who owns Model Engineering Services [ the guy who wrote Gears and Gearcutting ] ran out and didn't want to stock anymore with the influx of cheap Chinese machines.

A lot could be fabricated and possibly use the bed off a Chinese mill ?

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2642&category=

John S.

Model Engineer has a 'special ediion' that has plans for one using standard steel sections.

Looks good, I'm in the middle of building one myself. I hope it turns out as good as yours appears to be.

Back