Free plans for a larger, simpler, beam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a very superb model! I have seen it a number of times. As I followed his build over the years , he would have it at the N.AM.E.S. shows, in the different stages of build. I need to find my pictures of the progress that he made over the years.

Brian,
I could use your help on the Lower Valve Lever-2 of the Larger Simple Beam Engine. I've included a BAD rendering of the lever but I'm sure you'll get the idea. I have no knowledge of CAD and do not have CNC on my machines. Everything is manual. Is it possible, after you see the rendering, for you to give me the dimensions of X and Y distances? It's a slow build for me as I've made a few mistakes and had to make parts over again.
Thanks,
Grasshopper
Lower Valve Lever - 2.jpg

I can see a light at the end of the tunnel for this project. Some parts do have a little binding and I'd rather have that than sloppy loose. Binding can be lapped away. I'm getting ready to finish the air valve and my brain just can't get around something. Where are the exhaust ports supposed to be? Anyway, here are a couple of pics of my progress. Yes, I did make a plate for the front of the cylinder to keep most of the air where it should be. And I did make a mistake when I ordered the base plate. Ordered 3/8 instead of 5/8 thickness. But decided to work around this and so far I believe it will work.
Grasshopper

Attachments

• IMG_5312[1].JPG
    IMG_5312[1].JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_5313[1].JPG
    IMG_5313[1].JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 458
There is a hole right at the base of the square cylinder. It goes from outside into the round hole that the valve rod slides in. The exhaust comes out there.

Brian,
I have been away from machining for a while. If you don't have your head in it, you WILL make mistakes. I took some time to build some 1/8 scale race cars and road cars. Anyway, I've been looking at getting back to finishing the beam engine. All the parts are done and I'm dry fitting the parts and figuring out where the tight areas are to loosen them up a bit. My question, what is the distance the air valve rises and falls? I'm coming up with an average of 0.313 inch. Is this in the ball park?
Grasshopper

I’m having trouble finding one of the drawings. It has to be here because so many of you have made the parts. It’s listed as part #7, sub-assembly of crankshaft. Could someone point me to the page/drawing I’m obviously overlooking.

I just saw this thread. I started this same engine a couple of years ago at x 3 scale with a few changes. Work on it stopped when we moved to a new house. I hope to get back to it in a couple of months.

Attachments

• IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 193
Hello Brian, Just a note to thank you for sharing the beam engine plans, very much appreciated. I have only built a PM #3 but really like the looks of your plans for my second attempt. I am trying to build it with materials that I have on hand so there are a number of mods, some by design and some because of mistakes but the process is enjoyable and educational.

My present problem is trying to come up with an answer for the flywheel as I do not have any stock that large, 4 inches is the largest that
I have. I am wondering about placing the wheel on the outside of the bearing and perhaps making it .5 to .625 in width. Would that be a bad idea?

Ted

Tevans--flywheels are tricky---most of the work they do is done with the outer diameter of the wheel. Making flywheel smaller in diameter but thicker won't really give you the same results as you get with the larger diameter.---Brian

Tevans--flywheels are tricky---most of the work they do is done with the outer diameter of the wheel. Making flywheel smaller in diameter but thicker won't really give you the same results as you get with the larger diameter.---Brian
That's right. I have inserted a photo -- the middle equation, I thimpfks, is the correct one. A flywheel will be an approximate cylinder. So the moment of I goes up with the square of the radius given the mass of the ring stays constant.

Attachments

• Moment of Inertia.png
    Moment of Inertia.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
I don't know if any one is still interested but please find MM conversion of the plans at the link below they are zipped and PDF format.

I have only converted the dimensions so all the threads etc are as they were and I have not changed the spec of any of the parts so the dimensions might seem a little precise like 48.26mm instead of 1.9" etc.

If there are any problems with the conversion let me know and I will address any issues.

This looks a great little engine and I may have a go myself if I ever get the time. The OP did a great job with the model and drawings.

http://www.01space.co.uk/STEAMENGINE/BEAM TYPE STEAM ENGINE MM CONVERTED.zip
This link no longer works (404). Does anyone have the file and could forward it to me ? Pretty Please ?

Latest posts

Back