Free plans for a larger, simpler, beam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elefant_man--Thank you for the metric conversion. I am the original poster, and from what I am able to tell, this engine has now been built in just about every major country around the globe.----Brian

Strangely enough, I went the other route and worked to the original drawings in Imperial, but converted the threads to metric. As it happens, the metric sizes are pretty close to the Imperial sizes, although I used drill & tap tables to get a closer fit when drilling. So, I found that 2-56 becomes M3 x 0.5; 10-24 becomes M5 x 0.7 and 1/4-20 becomes M6 x 1.0.
Other changes I made were to make phosphor bronze bearing sleeves for the flywheel / crank assembly. They're secured by M4 set screws, which can be removed to reveal oiling ports for the bearings.
The great thing about this engine is that it's big. Don't need o be a watchmaker to build it, but it's still within the capabilities of very modestly sized lathes and mills - although I have to admit to having a 5" 4-jaw chuck for my little 7x10 Harbor Freight lathe.
Eric

I am brand new to small engine building and this forum. I have decided to have a go at this one as my first steam type engine. Thanks Brian, for the plans and all the help you have given folks with their builds.

Cheers,

Tom

I am trying to build this engine I don't have any brass so I'm using aluminum and steel I hope it will work, If it does I will order some brass and remake those parts it has been fun so far and a good learning experience.

O ps I want to thank you for plans. I can't do those small builds my eyes ant that good any more :eek: just to old need big things.

Motoseeya--I hear you, my friend. That was why I took old Elmer's plans and blew them up. I find it almost impossible to work with things much smaller than what you see on the plans I made.---Brian

does any body know if someone has done a bigger grasshopper in larger plans I would like to try that one I love to watch all the moveing parts.:rolleyes:

Thanks for info on engines and I got my beam going and it runs good it's my first build did a vid but can't get it on site but I wanted to thank again for plans.;D yes it's ear to ear

Thanks for all the work you put into the drawings and posting them for all of to use. I've started doing my drawings in Acad and found it's easier to use both dim english/metric the biggest problem is to not get over complicated so that it's hard to see what you need without getting confused. Keep up the good work.

Todd

Hello everybody! Just discovered this forum and I couldn't help but sign up for it. It is so awesome. And Brian's plans caught my eye. I wish to build this engine out of timber. I am a newbie in this fieldi(first year student for undergraduate degree). Any tips from you guys would be very helpful. And one more thing, can anybody explain me the mechanism of exhaust in there plans?

please help me to find a mini v8 engine model plan... please... please help me on my project... please..

Rayaline---The person you need to talk to is Steven (or Stephen) Hucks. He sells a complete set of small V8 plans. He posts on this forum, or just Google his name to get in touch with him.

Hi Brian, i have gone as far as i can with lathe mods so would like to start a model.I have choosen the beam engine for exactly the same original reasons
as you.Due to very limited supply of matls in this neck of the woods i may have to tweak a few things,but thats half the fun.As to upscaling and thread sizes etc. As an apprentice in the early 60s one project for the apprentice school
was to build a half size metric replica of one of the company products a breadwrapping machine.The basic formula was to divide by 2 and then up/down
size to suit stock matls,screws and tooling.Sounds simple but is it . ? Same still applies.My last loco i used mainlly std metric screws but imperial for ME pipe fittings.Not the ideal way but you have to use whats available.I remember
ordering a 10 BA tap and special hex HDS only to break the tap at the first try
Now its metric sock hds.Hope i can print off your drawings and make a start
MANY THANKS Bazmak

Hi Brian, and everybody,i have just started this project and downloaded
the set of plans and filed them nice and neat in a ring binder
I am making a number of changes for cost and availability etc of matls and
tooling etc.All threads will be metric and matls what i can source with a no of design/dim changes if all goes well will start a thread under Bazmak and will
keep in touch with this thread.Got the missing drg Brian thanks
Regards barry

Can someone please direct me to the PDFs for this engine. I've gone through the downloads section 3 times and I'm finding everything but. Thank you in advance

Thank you for the prompt responses. Brian, I just love your CAD work as well as your machining abilities. Currently I'm putting together the materials, fasteners, etc... for your latest creation, hit-n-miss with governor.

Latest posts

Back