Free plans for a larger, simpler, beam engine

Help Support HMEM:

Chiptosser

Chiptosser
HMEM Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is a very superb model! I have seen it a number of times. As I followed his build over the years , he would have it at the N.AM.E.S. shows, in the different stages of build. I need to find my pictures of the progress that he made over the years.

davidyat

HMEM Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Brian,
I could use your help on the Lower Valve Lever-2 of the Larger Simple Beam Engine. I've included a BAD rendering of the lever but I'm sure you'll get the idea. I have no knowledge of CAD and do not have CNC on my machines. Everything is manual. Is it possible, after you see the rendering, for you to give me the dimensions of X and Y distances? It's a slow build for me as I've made a few mistakes and had to make parts over again.
Thanks,
Grasshopper
Lower Valve Lever - 2.jpg

davidyat

HMEM Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I can see a light at the end of the tunnel for this project. Some parts do have a little binding and I'd rather have that than sloppy loose. Binding can be lapped away. I'm getting ready to finish the air valve and my brain just can't get around something. Where are the exhaust ports supposed to be? Anyway, here are a couple of pics of my progress. Yes, I did make a plate for the front of the cylinder to keep most of the air where it should be. And I did make a mistake when I ordered the base plate. Ordered 3/8 instead of 5/8 thickness. But decided to work around this and so far I believe it will work.
Grasshopper

Attachments

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
There is a hole right at the base of the square cylinder. It goes from outside into the round hole that the valve rod slides in. The exhaust comes out there.

davidyat

HMEM Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Brian,
I have been away from machining for a while. If you don't have your head in it, you WILL make mistakes. I took some time to build some 1/8 scale race cars and road cars. Anyway, I've been looking at getting back to finishing the beam engine. All the parts are done and I'm dry fitting the parts and figuring out where the tight areas are to loosen them up a bit. My question, what is the distance the air valve rises and falls? I'm coming up with an average of 0.313 inch. Is this in the ball park?
Grasshopper

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
David, it's been 10 years or so since I built that engine. I just got it down off the shelf and measured the travel, and it is 0.433".---Brian

Philzy

Reaction score
I’m having trouble finding one of the drawings. It has to be here because so many of you have made the parts. It’s listed as part #7, sub-assembly of crankshaft. Could someone point me to the page/drawing I’m obviously overlooking.

mnay

Reaction score
I just saw this thread. I started this same engine a couple of years ago at x 3 scale with a few changes. Work on it stopped when we moved to a new house. I hope to get back to it in a couple of months.

Attachments

Latest posts