free flight versus radio control

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo7636

Reaction score
Im studying 2 stroke diesel engine designs so I can make one. For the case where an engine is sold as diesel, there are options for "free flight" and "radio control". From what I can see the only difference is there is a slightly different carburetor (spary bar) with an arm so you can hook a servo wire to it. Does anyone know about this and can you share a good design for a radio control throttle? ref Engines

the designs I see for diesel engines seem to just be for free flight perhaps.

the best I can find is a carburetor for the Vega 30 from Motorboys. see images attached.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 8
  • carb1.JPG
    carb1.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 2
  • carb2.JPG
    carb2.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 3
Typically control line and free flight airplanes ran their engines at full throttle until they either ran out of fuel or had the fuel flow stopped by some type of cut off. Radio control airplanes are able to operate at various throttle settings for controlled flight. Those pictures are for a very simple throttle. More complex "carbs" are available that vary the fuel mixture with throttle position. This carb only has a fixed needle setting for all positions.

Lohring Miller

Attachments

• OS carb.jpg
    OS carb.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2
Back