Free 3D design software.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

The July issue of Model Engineers Workshop has the first in a series of articles about 3D computer modelling. The series is based on Truespace software. The good news is it can be downloaded free from this website. http://caligari.com I have downloaded it, over 100mb, so its a big programme and it looks good. Apparently this programme cost several hundred dollars a few months ago. Its the complete programme and is not limited or restricted in any way. Grab it while you can

Cheers

Rich

Firebird will this also allow 2d drawings and dimensioning? I guess I will find out soon anyway as I am downloading the videos now.

Hi Bob

I have only just downloaded it myself but I believe it will let you import 1D & 2D. I won't have time to play with it for a while but with MEW mag doing a series of articles with a tutorial its something I will have a go at. Its nice, I think to be able to read a hard copy and look at the pc at the same time. Much easier than switching between help files.

Cheers

Rich

I downloaded and installed all the files, manual, videos and the program. It installed and runs fine on Vista so I am going to play with it abit this afternoon.

Looks like a steep learning curve and not intuitive - at least to me based on the other 3D systems I have used - Prodesktop and Proengineer. More study required.

On another level WHY is there a shark in the objects library/?

I've been using Wings3D for many years and would recommend it to anyone wanting a quick 'low-poly' modelling program. Doddle to use and free. I knocked up this quick representation of a project-to-be in just a couple of minutes...

shot.jpg

EDIT Blender and Anim8or are other well respected free 3D programs but I don't like either.

..... and I know wot THAT'S gonna be! ;D

rickharris said:
Looks like a steep learning curve and not intuitive - at least to me based on the other 3D systems I have used - Prodesktop and Proengineer. More study required.

On another level WHY is there a shark in the objects library/?

Caligari is an art progam, more suited to doing animations for films than tied to dimension 3D engineering work.

BTW - Jesse is going to take some more pics of his version and send 'em

Any further thoughts on TrueSpace? - Apparently the company was bought by Microsoft and then the program made freely available in an effort for them to compete with Google Sketchup ::)

I have downloaded it but wonder from the commets above whether I am wasting my time?

I agree with what John Stevenson said about it. I now am using Alibre Design (standard version) that I got for $99.00. It works just great for modeling and creating dimensioned drawings.

I too jumped on the alibre bandwagon an got a license. There is a bit of learning curve
I do need to practice more with it but the near automatic dimensioning and drawing generation is impressive.
The first weekend I had it I drew up a fairly simple bushing for my boss at work. It Probly took an hour but I did produce a usable drawing that the boss could email to a vendor. The vendor said the drawing looked professionally done and asked the boss if he had a cad guy .
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
............... The vendor said the drawing looked professionally done and asked the boss if he had a cad guy .
Tin

To which I hope the boss man answered "why yes, I do as a matter of fact" ::)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Latest posts

Back