four Jaw chuck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilmar

Reaction score
Gentleman,
I have a problem and I need some advice,
For the last 10 years I have an 8” four jaw independent chuck in my shed.
The shed is in NY state. I believe the thread is 1 5/8. I just want to get rid of it. Where should I throw it?
Hilmar

HI Hilmar

Onto a rotary table best use for a spare 4 jaw. Or use it as a soldering base if your doing some assembly work and need to hold a post with a clamp the 4 jaw is a really stable mount. Or another use is to roll rims around in the start stages for traction engines takes a lot of work out of the sheet rolls.

Have to say that I have never thrown an old chuck away just kept them and found jobs for them.

Cheers Kevin

Hilmar:
several years ago I was working at a shop . We were cleaning up the place. The foreman told me to throw a 4 jaw chuck a faceplate and some drive plates in the scrap bin. Well ended up throwing them in the back of my car with permission. It took me a while to find a home for them as they were in the 12"-14" range but I eventually sold them and got a couple hundred out of the lot. If you do not need it I am sure someone does.
You could always use it for a neat base for a lamp or to hold a flag staff.
Tin

Hi Guys,
all god advise but I didn't know that it was that hard to get rid of the thing. No there is no lathe attached to it and I have no such large equipment. 9 x20 Grizzly here. No rotary table also. Soldering base? I have to think about that one. Flag pole, I have.
Hilmar

Hi Hilmar,
If you are really determined to get rid of it any way possible, turn it into little engines.

John

If you can fit it into a flat rate box, Ill take it off your hands ;)

Rob

Back