Found this 0.1CC Micro Diesel engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bazmak,
I would guess you and I had a similar education. I was taught that way at school but at that time hated metal work, that's what it was called then. Like you I was taught to file and measure with a steel rule to +/- 5 thou. I agree its not difficult but takes a little time to get used to. My eyes could not do it now either, but my Daughter bought me a great big magnifying glass. Its about 4.5" across and 2.5 diopter. I haven't let on about the digital calipers
icon10.gif

I find the engines also wear rather quickly, for reasons that remain mysterious to me.

This is also seems to be the case for production engines this small. I'm not sure why it happens.

Thats what I don't understand. Its easy to convert for example 1 inch to one millimeter, but i don't understand that 1/3, 1/64, 1/32 etc. things..

SO i would probably fail with imperial plans..

Most unlikely if you think about it for a few moments. Its just like percentages ! Instead of 100 just use the Denominator. So 1/64 is one sixty fourth part, the whole having 64 parts. Or take 3 thou. The whole divided into 1000 parts take three of them.

HTH

There are decimal equivalency charts all over the net if you don't want to do the math. My scale and micrometer also have one on the back. I've thought of using metric measurements, because the math is easier, but with my 1/4-20 lead screws it's easier to use 1/1000 in inches.

Ok time to screw with your heads we used Metric and American in the plant the Parlec that checked all the parts is in microns. So this is where the fun begins all of the shims and equipment where in thousands we used 25u (which is micron)= .001. All of the specs for our engine were in microns so you got familiar with the conversions.
Now at http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/microns-to-inches.htm said that 25µ = 0.00098425in
A micron is so small they if you get something on your hands wash it 5 times what is still there is a micron.

Todd

Latest posts

Back