Found some goddies

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotsasteam

Reaction score
i wish they would be metric!!![/ATTACH]

Attachments

• SAM_0505.jpg
    SAM_0505.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,667
  • SAM_0506.jpg
    SAM_0506.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,613
I mostly use DTIs for alignment rather than measurement so the scale doesn't really matter. Two nice examples - enjoy!

I acquired one of these tachometers from my Dad, were can I get a replacement rubber end, the one you hold to the center of the shaft?

Art

I made a replacement for mine out a a short length of glue stick. Yes its sticky but can be drilled and pointed in the lathe. Works like a charm.
Greg

The truth guy's: I am on the war path with inches,i can read 1inch,1/2,1/4,1/8,1/16 and than its guesswork! If somebody has this goody's in metric i'll trade or i have to sell these,sorry i have no clue how to use/read them! E-mail me with offer,i guess i have to post them in the 4 sale Line.

Manfred

I mostly use DTIs for alignment rather than measurement so the scale doesn't really matter. Two nice examples - enjoy!

I agree here. I have both Metric and imperial dti's and both are excellent for truing up a part in the 4 jaw.

What's this metric, and what is it used for???

The truth guy's: I am on the war path with inches,i can read 1inch,1/2,1/4,1/8,1/16 and than its guesswork! If somebody has this goody's in metric i'll trade or i have to sell these,sorry i have no clue how to use/read them! E-mail me with offer,i guess i have to post them in the 4 sale Line.

Manfred

General rule of thumb is .040" (.0394") is equal to 1.0mm. So 4 divisions on the dial will be .1mm. Pretty simple to convert between English and metric, just divide or times by 25.4, depending on which way you are converting. Not worth selling to replace with metric as it will still work to true up or indicate a part regardless of it being English or Metric.

don't sell. they are great for checking runout and other things. if you want to use them on your lathe x and z for measuring then I see a problem unless you just use them to return to a reference point or you decide to work from imperial blueprints.

.0005" is a tad more than .01mm (.0127mm) and .001" is about .025mm (.0254) so if you are checking flatness or runout just look at the divisions as .01 and .025mm respectively.

for a size reference a human hair can be between .003-.005" and a sheet of paper is about the same.

If tou don't like fractions get a scale w/ .02 divisions. I \'ve been using them for years and don't even think fractions anymore.

Is there anyone here who knows how much they weigh using the SI units? As a physics teacher this is my standard question to anyone who feels like they know "all about the metric system," and don't want to review it. It's important to remember that kg can not be used to measure weight, which is a force.

Ha ha, love it! I must admit I do a lot of support for systems and it's always confusing when dealing with files or references to dates that may have originated from the US timezone, I usually then find a reference one to work out if it's US, or the rest of the world's dating method.

cheers, Ian

Is there anyone here who knows how much they weigh using the SI units? As a physics teacher this is my standard question to anyone who feels like they know "all about the metric system," and don't want to review it. It's important to remember that kg can not be used to measure weight, which is a force.

I thought kg was a measurement of mass, and a measurement of force when applied/plotted against a measure of time?

cheers, Ian

The SI unit of force is the Newton, which is equal to kg*m/s^2 (i.e. force equals mass times acceleration) to find your weight take your mass in kg and multiply it by 9.81 m/s^2 (gravitational acceleration here on earth.)

The SI unit of force is the Newton, which is equal to kg*m/s^2 (i.e. force equals mass times acceleration) to find your weight take your mass in kg and multiply it by 9.81 m/s^2 (gravitational acceleration here on earth.)

Dammit, thanks for that! There goes the banana cake I was planning on!

Is there anyone here who knows how much they weigh using the SI units?
~1030 N

:shrug: Not hard.
Anyone schooled on the metric system should be able to answer that.

Edit: oops, I had opened a stack of threads in background tabs, by the time I got to this one there were replies I hadn't seen. Ignore me :D

Last edited:
Agreed, but yours is the first correct answer I've ever received.

That's pretty sad. Are you located in a country using the Imperial system?
It's only slightly more difficult converting from pounds to Newtons, but it can easily cause confusion.

Last edited:
That's pretty sad. Are you located in country using the Imperial system?
It's only slightly more difficult converting from pounds to Newtons, but it can easily cause confusion.

I am in America, but I generally ask the question to at least one of my classes per year, so hundreds of people have had the opportunity to answer.

Back