• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

found a light ten south bend (10K) for ~$1000 - advice?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrikalin

Reaction score
Whaddayathink?

ways are worn (no scraping marks in the high traffic areas), backlash is excessive (20-30 thou at least)... Is it worth my thinking about it?
4jaw chuck and 2 3-jaw chucks included. also a nice QCTP.

What says you?

t

i decided against it...

I'll wait and spend money on a machine that is in better condition...

A 10K is a very nice hobby lathe. I did my best work on one in good condition, but $1000. is too much for a project lathe

Almost anything on a lathe can be repaired by a hobbyist except worn ways.
The only way I'd have considered that lathe is if the price was low enough that I could part it out and make money.
That probably means <$400 for that one.

so you did good.
Keep watching the river until the right one floats by.

Living in MA, I assume you know about Brothers Machinery in Andover, MA. A friend of mine has gotten a couple of reasonable deals on used machinery there. Worth checking, if you haven't already.

Half that price would be fair especially in a part of the country with so many available.

thanks all for the feedback. I guess I had made my mind to let it go, but needed a sounding board.

Mainer, I did not know about Brothers Machinery. I'll give them a ring to see if there's anything that they do not list on the website... and establish a contact, at least.

thanks

tom in MA

There is a LOT they don't list on their website! It's worth a visit just to poke around. Their building is visible on the right side of 495 going north. Get off at that Andover exit and you're practically in their driveway.

Tom,

Bring a wallet, they'll fix you up.

Lot's of stuff there, but it's what they have at that particular time. Sometimes it hit or miss.

Dave

Back