Forrest Edwards radial 5

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the OS F too( recommended by my model shop) but I need the glow power on at low RPM. In the specs , an onboard battery is recommended which obviously only applies if you want to fly it. I know the idle bar plugs from my early days of C/L flying but I 'm not sure if they are still manufactured ( not even sure if the Fox company is still in business...)

Jos

I have the OS F too( recommended by my model shop) but I need the glow power on at low RPM. In the specs , an onboard battery is recommended which obviously only applies if you want to fly it. I know the idle bar plugs from my early days of C/L flying but I 'm not sure if they are still manufactured ( not even sure if the Fox company is still in business...)

Jos
Thank you Mechanic boy and Jos!! I'll use os-f.

Another question to delete from my "one-million question
s list" about the Edwards 5.

Close to finish the project and now I'm debating myself between different options when thinking about the glowplug driver. What do you use? Arduino to regulate depending on rpm's, NE555 timer to provide an adjustable output, a voltage regulator to provide a constant voltage? I'm a little bit lost here.

thank you folks!

My engine is mounted on a display with Fuel Tank, Oil Tank and provision for powering the plugs. Is not meant to fly but is ready to run for fun.
The 5 plugs are powered by AC via a transformer, 5 isolated secondary's. I wanted to have some control and diagnostic. The voltage is adjustable some +/- 20% from a nominal 1.4V. Each plug current is monitored and turn a light on. I did not want to remove the plugs to see if they are good.

I use two parallel 2V 9Ah gel batteries, they provide ample power for 5 plugs and make you independent form AC power sources if you want to run your engine at shows, displays and so on.
power1.jpg

I made a control panel with switches and an ammeter so I can swith on every individual plug , for checking .

panel4.jpg

Is is not as sophisticated as Mauro's solution , I'm not very good at electronics, but it works.

Jos

My engine is mounted on a display with Fuel Tank, Oil Tank and provision for powering the plugs. Is not meant to fly but is ready to run for fun.
The 5 plugs are powered by AC via a transformer, 5 isolated secondary's. I wanted to have some control and diagnostic. The voltage is adjustable some +/- 20% from a nominal 1.4V. Each plug current is monitored and turn a light on. I did not want to remove the plugs to see if they are good.
Nice solution!! Not a common transformer I see...Is it powered from wall socket or from a lower voltage source?

I use two parallel 2V 9Ah gel batteries, they provide ample power for 5 plugs and make you independent form AC power sources if you want to run your engine at shows, displays and so on.
View attachment 125792
I made a control panel with switches and an ammeter so I can swith on every individual plug , for checking .

View attachment 125793

Is is not as sophisticated as Mauro's solution , I'm not very good at electronics, but it works.

Jos
Easy solution, I like simple solutions when possible, my only concern is blowing some plugs at 2volts. As far as I know, they are happy with voltages from 1.2 to 1.5v. How's your experience in that matter?

Close to finish the project and now I'm debating myself between different options when thinking about the glowplug driver. What do you use? Arduino to regulate depending on rpm's, NE555 timer to provide an adjustable output, a voltage regulator to provide a constant voltage? I'm a little bit lost here.

thank you folks!
My solution is simple, I just connect it to a 25amp 2 volt battery, and no problems with plugs burning out.

Attachments

• B4B75389-2EEF-497E-8694-019CAAF111C8.jpeg
    B4B75389-2EEF-497E-8694-019CAAF111C8.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 125
I have been using 2V batteries for glow plugs for almost 50 years and never experienced any premature glowplug blowups. I used about 20"leads to the glowplug clip to ensure a small voltage drop and ease of handling- I use them for starting speedboats. The batteries were sold by the German Graupner company but were made by Sonnenschein. They are still on sale but very expensive ,40 Euro for a 2V 10 Ah gel battery. Maybe NiMh would be a cheaper solution for people outside Europe. Furthermore, there is a German company called Rainbowtronic that produces microprocessor-controlled glowunits for radial engines, I don't know if they ship to the U.S. I might get myself one of these if I ever put my Edwards on a plane.

Jos

Thanks for the Rainbowtronic suggestion. I wasn't aware of that company. Irritating cookie popups but whatever.
Here is a link to some of the multicylinder glow modules if anyone else is interested
https://rainbow-tronic.de/cartsearch/index.html?sortOrderBy=relevance
What's nice is they are using more commonly available Li batteries (assume because these glow systems are orientated for flying, therefore light weight). But I assume some of the glow control features are tied into RC TX-RX throttle signal so might not be a plug-n-play for a benchtop running engine

https://rainbow-tronic.de/en/description-of-glowcontrol.html

Attachments

• SNAG-2021-05-24 001.jpg
    SNAG-2021-05-24 001.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 110
  • SNAG-2021-05-24 002.jpg
    SNAG-2021-05-24 002.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 115
Nice find. I was not aware of Rainbowtronic. The only 5 cyl drivers I have found to this day were quite expensive, but this one seems to be more or less affordable.

B&E electronics in Calgary has a couple different 2v gel cell options. Not sure if they could ship though.

Latest posts

Back