Forrest Edwards radial 5

Discussion in 'A Work In Progress' started by josodl1953, Dec 10, 2016.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Jul 7, 2019 #161

josodl1953

josodl1953

josodl1953

Retired
    Yes, Peter, that's my idea, bearing in mind that I have the tooling for the cylinder/head assambly already.
    But these are just ideas, I am still miles away from actually building them.

Jos

2. Jul 7, 2019 #162

josodl1953

josodl1953

josodl1953

Retired
    About the fuel, it is left -over racing fuel from my model boat racing career, containing 15 % oil ( castor/synthetic 50-50) and 10% nitro. I have no lubrication pump, the cam housing contains its own oil supply, the separated crankcase receives oil from blow-by of the pistons like all commercial four-stroke model engines. Time will tell if this will provide sufficient lubrication.

Proof of the pudding...

Jos

3. Nov 13, 2019 #163

Michael Rosenbauer

Michael Rosenbauer

Michael Rosenbauer

Laith operator, Milling Machine operator, cnc op
    Jos you are a son of a gun.
    Chapeau you are a real home engine machinist!
    Sehr gut!

4. Nov 14, 2019 #164

josodl1953

josodl1953

josodl1953

Retired
    Danke schön!
    I will be at an exhibition in December where I will be demonstrating the engine, After that, I will take it apart to check for wear to see if it is fit to be used on an R/C plane.

Jos

5. Nov 15, 2019 #165

Michael Rosenbauer

Michael Rosenbauer

Michael Rosenbauer

Laith operator, Milling Machine operator, cnc op
    Sounds like plan.
    Do you have the plane already?
    Michael

6. Nov 15, 2019 #166

josodl1953

josodl1953

josodl1953

Retired
    No the plane has yet to be built. I already have downloaded plans of a Boeing Stearman ( also known as Kaydet) But I'm still thinking of the right size, bearing in mind that the engine is rather heavy ( almost 2 kgs) so tha plane should be not too small but not too big either because I could not measure the power of the engine. A wingspan of 1m 80 should be a feasible option and it should look a bit like this
    pt_7 edwards1a.jpg

But,like I said before, the engine must first prove its airworthyness before I start the construction.

Jos

Michael Rosenbauer likes this.
  7. Nov 15, 2019 #167

jquevedo

jquevedo

jquevedo

Check Ziroli Plans for Big scale plane plans and some building materials, I bought the Stearman PT17 plans and they are great, I'm in the process of building the 87 inch wing span version, have a 9 cylinder radial I Bult from Hodgson plans.

8. Nov 15, 2019 #168

Jrcfiero

Jrcfiero

Jrcfiero

How about using compressed gas?

9. Nov 15, 2019 #169

petertha

petertha

petertha

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Some pics of Mr. Edwards handiwork, the Polikarpov with a 5-cyl variant installed. It appears Forest was equally good at building scale model air frames as he was an engine designer & machinist.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/15794235@N06/sets/72157603556449257/

On a side note, does anyone have any information on his 2-cylinder supercharged engine? Was it ever written up or featured anywhere?

10. Nov 16, 2019 #170

awake

awake

awake

Educator
    Wow, what a smooth running engine. Fantastic work!

11. Nov 16, 2019 #171

josodl1953

josodl1953

josodl1953

Retired
    jquevedo; The Ziroli plans look good but slightly too big for my engine. Ziroli recommends from 75 to 250 cc, mine is only 30 cc.
    jrcfiero: Do you mean compressed gas engines? In the early days of powered model planes there were very small motors running on compressed CO2 from cartridges.
    Peter: A few of these pictures I already found on the web but these are even more revealing. The Polikarpov's fuselage was made of metal by the looks of it , with beautiful riveted panels. Forest Edwards must have been a craftsman with outstanding qualities. I wonder if he had fitted his engine with spark ignition. On the side view one can see the HT leads coming from some kind of distributor housing on the back of the engine. There are some more differences between the original engine and the design according to Robert Siglers drawings. The cooling fins of the cylinder heads of the original are slightly curved whereas the Sigler heads are flat. Also, the cam followers of the original are offset, on the Sigler drawings they are in line.

Maybe Robert has information on the supercharged twin, his email adress is on the front page of the set of drawings.

12. Nov 16, 2019 #172

petertha

petertha

petertha

Yes in another (RC) forum post I read, it discussed modifications Forest made to the Polikarpov engine which deviated from the builder plans. But I have also read other postings which seem more speculative & light on details. Some have used the words 'ignition system' without really defining (or maybe understanding) what that meant. The braided cables could have been for scale show purposes & conventional glow plugs used in an on-board glow mode which is common on multi-cylinder RC engines. Or he could have converted to distributor/spark knowing his abilities & the wire shielding would have been required for RF interference. There is a distributer-ish looking can in the rear, but again was it functional or more for show? The plugs look about glow plug size but I've seen ingenious model engineers make spark plugs of that size. I'd love to know some of the details if anyone has good info. Yes, maybe Robert would be a good lead.

Attached Files:

13. Nov 16, 2019 #173

Noel Gordon

Noel Gordon

Noel Gordon

Nice chat theme guys...Almost finished my Edwards 5 and I plan to install into a 100" Strikemaster using Nick

Hi guys, a nice chat thread.. I have almost finished my Edwards 5 and I intend to install in a 100" Strikemaster using Ziroli plans which I now have.. I intend to run my radial using pump gas as Ive modded the heads to take mini spark plugs.... Slow to finish my radial because of selling our house and buying another (and I really hate the process)

14. Nov 17, 2019 #174

Shopgeezer

Shopgeezer

Shopgeezer

Retired
    We have sold houses and bought new ones all our married life. Career changes, new postings, and family situations meant constant changes. I would just get my shop set up to my satisfaction and get into some projects and Bingo, off we would go again. Lathes and mills don’t like moving. I like it even less. Moving house is awful, moving a shop is much worse. I still have projects in boxes from years ago. My current shop is my retirement dream and I’m staying put this time.