Forged crank shafts?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose4621

Reaction score
I have worked with metal of one form or another all my life and I have an interest in any and all ways of working with it.
As well as being a keen machinist, I also dabble in blacksmithing.
The thought crossed my mind today as I was staring at the plans for a 1936 popular mechanics midget engine, I wonder if there is a benefit in forging the crank shaft blanks.
At least at model size it wouldn't be too taxing. I could forge it from, say, 5160, and normalise it a few times after forging and before machining.
It could potentially be hardened after machining and then ground/lapped to final dimension.
Someone on here must have tried this before?
Screenshot from 2021-12-31 19-21-01.png

I too have been wondering about forged crankshafts for a model engine. In my case it would be for a half size 1930 Austin seven engine, so only two main bearings, one at each end. The original crank had 1 5/16" dia bearings, allow a bit for the crank webs and machining would mean a bar of 3/4" to 7/8" should do. I would prefer to drop forge mine, perhaps a large power hammer?
Whatever I decide to try, it's a long way off yet!

Back