Ford's First Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick -

I concur with your idea about building a historically accurate engine, as I would like to do that also. Toward that end, I have been conducting some research on the engine and related materials and technology around 1893.

My research is in the early stages, but in the interest of furthering discussion, I have created a website to document my findings. The website (link below) is a work in progress, so I expect it will be growing and changing as I do further research (and I may well change some of my early conclusions).

I welcome comments, criticism, and contributions from all interested persons.

https://sites.google.com/site/lagad...es-mills-etc/build---ford-s-first-engine-1893

Wow...I just came across this! I have not seen another Ford's first engine in a while. I've also been busy building a full-size replica of Ford's first car, the Quadricycle. I can't wait for the engine shows this summer....looking forward to seeing everyone's great craftsmanship.

I fired my Ford engine up for my students...they get a kick out of it.

Chris -

I'd love to get a look at your Quadricycle - please post an update some time to let us know where you will be showing it.

In the meanwhile, I've been continuing my more modest efforts in researching Ford's first engine. I have also been in contact with the Ford museum, and am making plans to get a first hand look at the original engine later this year. I have a whole list of questions about the engine I would like to get answers to; if anyone in this group has similar questions let me know what they are and I'll be happy to try to get answers (though of course I can't promise that I will be successful).

More updates here:

https://sites.google.com/site/lagad...es-mills-etc/build---ford-s-first-engine-1893

The Quadricycle is still at least a year away from completing but I'll keep everyone on this site posted for sure.

I have read 7 books about Ford and there are conflicting facts about his first engine. Even Ford himself mentioned that the engine was destroyed right after he proved it was going to work. He described it with little detail but enough for people to piece it together and create an engine.

Ford modeled it after the Kane-Pennington engine.

Hopefully you get a few more "real" answers from the folks at the museum.

Good luck.

Chris -

Thanks for the comment. This is the first time I have heard Kane-Pennington mentioned in connection with the Ford engine; do you happen to recall where this is documented?

You are right about conflicting facts - even the few items at the Ford Museum website are not in full agreement with each other. Meanwhile, I'm having an interesting time looking at historical materials on the development of the internal combustion engine; right now I'm going through old editions of a publication called "Horseless Age" - fascinating stuff.

The people at the museum have been very helpful so far; I'm looking forward to a visit later this year.

Here is an image I found online...you will notice the similarities.

kane-ad-02a.jpg

The Kane-Pennington engine does have a number of similarities to the Ford engine, but what I would really like to find is a quote from Ford saying that he studied that particular engine, or words to that effect. During my research, I have looked at a fair number of patents and publications from the era, and not surprisingly, have run across any number of engines with one or more features similar to the Ford engine.

I'll check the books I have...I'm almost positive there is a paragraph or two related to his first engine. I'll post what I find.

Chris -

Much appreciated. There are of course a ton of books on Henry Ford, but most of them focus on his life with Ford Motor and later. Would you care to recommend any books that are more relevant to the topic at hand?

Chris -

Would you care to recommend any books that are more relevant to the topic at hand?

This one is pretty good. He talks about his childhood and seeing his first engine.

413uP92BbZL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My Ford engine has a new home in Burbank, CA.

Attachments

• IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 375
No, sorry... we got caught up in a move to our new home and building a new shop. It is still on my check list, though. Stay tuned.

This is the two cylinder that Leon made some time back there were no plans or drawings other than photos so it was reverse engineeredhe has the information

Latest posts

Back