fords first engine intake valve

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehouse260

Reaction score
hi i have built a model of fords first engine and it sounds like the intake check valve is leaking.
is there any way to fix it other than buying a new valve?
im worried that if i buy a new valve it wont fix the problem because of how it seals, is there any other type of check valve that would work?
thanks,
matt

I'm not familiar with the check valve of this engine, but presume it is a ball on a tapered or square seat.

If that is the case, can you find another ball the same size as the one in situ? glue that ball to a rod and with a bit of fine compound (Brasso, toothpaste or similar) twiddle the ball on the seat back and forward until there is a fine dull line on the seat. Clean out the valve and replace the original ball. It should work now.

If you don't have another ball, the time-honoured method of getting the ball to seat was to get a rod that fitted the hole above the ball, put a countersink in the end and give the rod a light tap to knock the ball into the seat.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Dave,
As far as I can remember, the valve is a commercial fitting from a plumbers supplies and as far as I know, are not designed to be stripped down and repaired, just holes that need blocking up and modified to do the job.

John

Latest posts

Back