Ford Quadricycle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vascon2196

Reaction score
So my Quadricycle Club is now an official club at New England Institute of Technology. Our students will be machining and building Henry Ford's first automobile, the Quadricycle.

Here is our first completed part...the Distributor Link.

Only one hundred or so parts to go!

Enjoy.

DistributorLink.jpg

Hi Chris. I am really looking forward to following this build. Thanks for sharing it with us on HMEM. Are the plans available ?

Thank you!

I got the plans from a man out west...Tom Ronnin I believe. I put all the original drawings into Solid Works and created detail drawings. The original drawings were missing a lot of detail. At some point when they are finsihed with all the "bugs" removed I will post them...there are about 150 drawings all together.

Here are some more pics of progress.

CrankArms.jpg

RearAxle.jpg

Stockandmiscparts.jpg

Frameclampedtogether.jpg

Many thanks for that Chris. Happy to wait for the plans and in the meantime follow your progress

Thank you!

I got the plans from a man out west...Tom Ronnin I believe. I put all the original drawings into Solid Works and created detail drawings. The original drawings were missing a lot of detail. At some point when they are finsihed with all the "bugs" removed.

I will post them...there are about 150 drawings all together.

I really hope you can follow up on the posting of the refined drawings.....and I thank you in advance

f

The picture of the angle iron laid out is pretty funny.
When I was in Dearborn MI I visited the Henry Ford Museum and saw the original quadricycle.
I remember thinking - "Jeez- it looks exactly like something built in someone's garage - the frame is made from bits of angle iron!"

Jason H.

Last edited:
If you are unclear about anything I was thinking about going to the henry ford tomorrow or sunday. I could take the camera and a tape measure.

It must be nice to live that close! I hope to visit next summer...I have become quite a Ford fanatic since I built his first stationary engine and now even more with this Quadricycle project.

If you have time....and only if you have time...an overall snap shot would be great. A lot of the pictures have glare from the glass it is encased in.

Thanks again...enjoy it there...I hear it's great.

When my sons were small my youngest got to drive it out of the garage at GFV, it was great!

Thank you so much for posting those!

I want to go there now!!!!!!!!!

For some reason I thought it was encased in a glass box...it looks open from the pictures.

If I am reading the Ford website correctly, the Quadricycle is at the Henry Ford Museum right? Or is it somewhere else?

Thanks again for the pics.

My Dad and I built this 1901 curved dash Olds replica (in the garage). It does not have the original engine but is powered by a 13 horse power lawn mower engine and transmission. The wheels are from a company named Worksmans. They make industrial bicycles. I will definately be following your build
DSC02646.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

For some reason I thought it was encased in a glass box...it looks open from the pictures.

If I am reading the Ford website correctly, the Quadricycle is at the Henry Ford Museum right? Or is it somewhere else?

Thanks again for the pics.

It's in the open. Can almost touch it it's so close.

Yes it is at the henry ford.

Great thread, Chris. Are you going also try to replicate the original engine?

Chuck

Thank you Chuck...yes we will be replicating the original engine as close as possible. I have the cylinder tubing and hone already.

We will be purchasing the rims, tires, and a few other things but I want to do as much as we can with the machinery we have in the shop.

That is the intent anyway.

So far the only problem I keep running into is $$$$...

Interesting, I'll be watching this as well - and looking forward to seeing the plans!

My Dad and I built this 1901 curved dash Olds replica (in the garage). It does not have the original engine but is powered by a 13 horse power lawn mower engine and transmission. The wheels are from a company named Worksmans. They make industrial bicycles. I will definately be following your build
DSC02646.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

Thanks for sharing these pics....going to check out those wheels....I had a hard time finding 40 spoke wheels like Ford used but I found them. I have to make custom hubs but the rim, tire, and spokes I will be purchasing.

Hi Tel. We can make half a dozen of these for our next Aussie team build and have a Bathurst to Broome bush bash :rolleyes:

now i hate to be the newbie here but. is that engine steam powered or is it an ic?

Latest posts

Back