For that Serve

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agmachado

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm starting in the art of machining and would like to understand the use of some accessories that follows.

Basically I would like know the situations of use for each tool below.

A)
2258pic.jpg

B)
2267Pic.jpg

2267inserts.jpg

C)
3006pic.jpg

D)
3007pic.jpg

Thank You,

Alexandre

Hi Pat,

Very nice this link! Thm:

Thank You,

Alexandre

Alexandre,
Here is another link that explains a bit of tool geometry. I have had a lathe for over 3 years and still confuse left and right hand tools!

http://web.mit.edu/2.670/www/Tutorials/Machining/lathe/Description.html

The shapes of the tools determine weather they are left or right hand. When grinding our own HSS tools, we tend to modify tool profiles to get the best results for the job at hand.

Chuck in E. TN

Great info Pat!
Thanks for the links, i have saved them to my favourites list.

I am busy reading the "SB How To run a lathe" at the moment!
A great read and full of useful info.

Anyone know where to get lard??? :big:

Andrew

lard is available from supermarkets along with dripping ......at least here in Oz ;D or you could try a butchers shop. Lard is pork fat and is soft while dripping is a hard fat from cattle or sheep
Hope this helped
Pete

Pat,

Are great informations!!!

Thank you,

Alexandre

hopeless said:
lard is available from supermarkets along with dripping ......at least here in Oz ;D or you could try a butchers shop. Lard is pork fat and is soft while dripping is a hard fat from cattle or sheep
Hope this helped
Pete

Lard...uuumh Tasty. It is still just as good as it once was and in some ways it is better then the modern oils but there is the smell factor, if you don't get it all cleared away it will go rancid

The sulphurized cutting oil is great for most applications but be careful to clean it up it can cause rust. Some applications don't like the sulphur in this oil, not as big a deal in a home shop when the basic materials are Unknowuim and Dontknowium.

Back