• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For sale?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a member of 4 special interest boards such as this HMEM. Each has different rules, it is very simple to me, if you don't like the rules don't visit the site. You don't have to agree with the rules, just follow them. These are not Democratic groups, these boards are owned by a person/group and it is their way or the highway, very simple.

When I was a employer, there were rules that were made for the employee's to follow, some folks did not agree with my rules, very simple, they no longer worked for me. Same thing here.

Surely this should be an evolving process,just suppose 99 per cent of the members disliked the particular rule in question? It might be a good idea in everyone's interest to relax that rule or amend it. Even the U.S. constitution has been amended over time,just my 2 cents worth.

Put it this way. If you'd never heard from a member, but they advertised a nice tool at a good price just up the road from us? I'd put money on 99.99% of us jumping in the car straight away. Who cares if they learn but don't teach? Affordable tools help us all out.

The for sale area is for active forum members . ie those who post and participate. the rules are clearly written.

Out of nowhere someone who never posted places 8 ads for multiple Items for sale. these 8 adds were deleted by 3 staff members.

Canadian horsepower you know the rules . behave show respect.
shouting at staff in public is not proper behavior.
for that you can have another 7 day vacation.

Respectfully tin falcon.

A little reminder you did suspend me for 7 days for giving my opinion
after reading the 3 pages of it I must assume I was not the only one to think that way
As for shouting:confused: I totally disagree using capital letter to express your opinion is not shouting
As a respectful manner a " pm" would have been appreciate

I'm an administrator of other web site and we usually set up stuff before
suspending someone

Situations have occurred on other sites and in groups where unscrupulous people have exploited membership in order to trade "under the radar" on the grounds that other members who had not been active on the forums had been permitted to advertise even a small number of items for sale previously, so it makes perfect sense to err on the side of caution in this case and I would like to believe that anyone with sense enough to understand how a model engine works, would also recognise the reasoning behind removing such "uncharacteristic" posts as it keeps the door closed to anyone who may seek to unfairly exploit this forum

I think the mods have made the right decision. This is a non commercial forum so they have no choice but to enforce the rule for all of us.

Major companies are setting up divisions to market their products through social media including forums like this where they can reach their target market for free, so HMEM's non commercial aspect is appreciated by many of us.

I am a commercial sponsor on another forum and pay quite a lot of money a year to give me the right to promote my products to members. If I don't pay, all of my posts disappear. The fact that I was one of the early members and was in the top 5 for post count before I established my business was of no consequence.

Unfortunately even if a few members were quick enough to read the posts in question (I wasn't) and wanted to know more about the product, rules are rules; the posts had to go.

As a new member, I will say I have been disappointed a couple of times when what I have been following has degenerated into a public flaming contest. On one thread that I was really interested in, I was on the verge of posting "Unsubscribed, I don't need to read this Cr@p" but the mods acted before I did.

The mods have a thankless task but they get my vote. In addition, we all need to be respectful of each other and this has been forgotten a few times recently.

It has been considered shouting for almost as long as the internet has existed.

"Another rule is to avoid typing in ALL CAPS or grossly enlarging script for emphasis, which is considered to be the equivalent of shouting or yelling."
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_(technology)#Netiquette

Thanks for the information, not to say that I'm wright but I teach robotic engineering to international student and language is always an issue and for that reason I ask them to use cap or bold letters on their problem this allows me to stop trying to read the hole page

Your answer is what I consider the proper "etiquette way" of telling someone's not wright, not suspending him with out an email trying to explain the misunderstanding . after all we are not in the army here

Just a quick note about a fellow who shows up on various boards with items that are sometimes hard to find or the price is very good. He frequents gunsmith boards, knife making and collecting boards, and now I believe he is frequenting other boards. He lurks a while until he gets an idea of what to sell, then he posts item. The pictures are borrowed from the internet and he has none of the items. I am allowed to post this, because I was taken by this guy. He resides in Poland, but goes by several names and has some US accounts. I believe the moderators did the right thing.

The admin did not do the wright thing... they did the right thing! :p

Just a little poke in the ribs Luc. I am only a active member of 3 boards... the admin here does a fantastic job keeping it clean. I've abandoned other forums that seem to have no moderation at all, allowing horrible language to basically being nothing but freebay.

I've been "gently guided" by the Admin here via PM, and I put on my big boy undies and stepped in line instead of getting my feelings hurt like a little girl.

Just saying.

I'm sorry Canadianhorsepower but I wish they would just ban you. All you do is cause problems. Your way is the only way. I'm getting quite tired of it.

Dave

I'm sorry Canadianhorsepower but I wish they would just ban you. All you do is cause problems. Your way is the only way. I'm getting quite tired of it.

Dave
Dave
I don't think I deserve this at all. and I don't believe that "my way is the only way"
I'm only trying to explain why I did something and not saying it's good or bad. I did apologize many time cause I was not expressing myself correctly but their must be a way to get it done in a more gentlemen manner

Jwcn1911
I've been "gently guided" by the Admin here via PM, and I put on my big boy undies and stepped in line instead of getting my feelings hurt like a little girl.
I would have like that opportunity My mission in life is not being a
trouble maker but more a team player. Not being jump on my head for every thing I say would be nice also

I believe most members have experience enough to assist others. We sometimes assume the obvious which may not be apparent in others. Language is sometimes misunderstood as is units of measurements or direction of left/right/towards/away etc.
Some posts could be improved by proof reading before sending
Phil in Melbourne Australia

As a respectful manner a " pm" would have been appreciate
It occurs to me that if you had started off using a PM to post your objections, PM is where it would have stayed, but when you take it to someone in a public post human nature will compel most people to respond in public.

I didn't see the original posts in question, but I am a moderator of the Wants/For Sale section of another popular live steam board and it appears to me the situation has been handled correctly and with greater restraint by the Mods than I could have had. I've recently seen two very useful local boards (not ME/HSM-related) essentially destroyed by weak moderation and uncontrolled sales spam/scammers.

Lofty sorry for the bad first impression.

PM sent to Luc
Tin

I am new here, so please forgive me if this is out of place. I did read the rules, so I think I'm OK. :)

It seems to me both sides of the "argument" have very valid points. Posting things for sale is certainly a privilege that should not be abused by commercial interests. On the other hand, as noted previously, there are some valid reasons for offering items for sale despite not posting much. Also, it's pretty hard to dispute that if rules aren't followed, appropriate action as outlined should be taken.

Perhaps an addendum to the F/S rules could be that if a non-active member wishes to offer something for sale, they may seek moderator approval beforehand.

While we are on the topic of discussing rules, I didn't see anything in the rules thread regarding "wanted" posts. Are these OK here?

Latest posts

Back