• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale: Reversing switch, suit heavy lathes?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammieQ

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a reversing switch, similar in design to a Dewhurst, Furnas etc. It is badged by General Electric in the States and is configurable as follows;

Single phase 115V 1.5HP
230v 2HP
Poly 110-600V 2HP
DC 115-230V 0.25HP

£30? Post on top. Sam

DSC00275 (Small).JPG

DSC00281 (Small).JPG

DSC00277 (Small).JPG

DSC00278 (Small).JPG

The weight of the lathe doesn't have much to do with the motor switch.

If you are asking if you should use that switch on a 2 HP lathe motor - it depends.

OK for most home shop applications if used with common sense. It would not last long on single phase for frequent stop-start cycles. It would suffer the same fate if used for braking or reversing a running three phase motor by switching from forward to reverse.

If you compare the price of a contactor type motor reversing assembly with low voltage coils to a remote stop-start switch, you will probably decide to use the one shown and replace it if it fails.

Hi Stan,

Looks like Sam is wanting to sell the switch.

Andrew

Thanks Stan, I posted the idea because I had seen a couple of chaps in the States looking for just this switch for a Clausing. Apparently, it was fitted as standard?

Thanks Andrew, I am indeed trying to sell it; I've modified the title to make that clearer.

I just want it gone as I have no real justification for using it and I'm trying to declutter after a lifetime of giving in to themagpie genes....make me an offer someone!

Sam

Latest posts

Back