For all who make mistakes!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ieezitin

Reaction score
This is the mistake thread, heres my story for others to learn from. All I ask is say thank you to Mr Bob B Caskell.

I did my machinist apprenticeship back in 1979 got out in 84. I did it in a paper mill back in England.

I never forget the day I was assigned to the turning department, my mentor was a grumpy old timer named Robert B Caskell ( AKA BBC ) they called him that because every time he was clocking off shift he would whistle the national anthem.

Anyways I herd stories in our tech school about this old bugger and it was just my luck I was assigned to this old fart.

First day did not go well, don’t touch that kid, leave that alone kid, go get me coffee kid, I was doomed!. This went on for about a week, it was effecting me this guy just was so unpleasant and rude but I had to stay the course. I just had too!. Then Monday of the next week I turned up for work and I said “ Bob why do you have all your files wrapped up individually in rags? “ his reply was “ why do you want to know” my response was “ I am here to learn right!”

From that moment on he could not stop, his mood changed, everything thing he done there was this running commentary from him why this is, why that’s that, this does that. You get my drift. I got close to him very quick, he had this thing he would do with me, he would at the start of the shift ask me a question relating to machinery and I had to solve and get him the answer by the end of the day, if I was right good, If I was wrong he told me the answer and explained it to me. He always told me that to all questions I have first use the brain god gave me and try to figure it out, of what I could not understand my question should be asked of only that, I was to inform him of my rational thought was to get to where I was in the question. ( hope that made sense )

Three years I was with him, that man was the best machinist and father I ever had, there was not one job that come into the shop he could not do to perfection, he showed me that paying attention to details and having pride coupled with self respect is one virtue all men should have for a rewarding career and life.

To graduate I had to make a piece that used the shaper, mill and lathe, his suggestion was to make a 2” round steel ball in a solid square block, sliced in half so the ball was inserted inside the block and when you held just one half of the block it would not fall apart it was held there by vacuum from the machining surfaces only. I told him I did not think I was capable of doing that to his standards, he said if you fail at least you tried!. I said “ its my only chance to graduate, his response was “graduation does not start until you die son” I did it and that man was chuffed to bits with me. he gave me as a gift his marking out set he had had for 65 years and in his spare time at the house he made me a machinist tool chest made from oak, every brass plate and hinges hand made, every dovetail and joint was finished perfect, made with love and tender care for someone he enjoyed.

This man was so rude to me in the beginning because all his life he did his job well, and every apprentice they gave him just did not care or want to be there. all he wanted to do was teach to others what he knew that’s why he volunteered to teach the prison kids. You see I was one too, I loved stealing cars not cortinas or minis noo had to be the Mercedes Benz and such, I was at the end of my stealing career when the judge said its either a trade school or borstal ( prison ) I was his first to respond.

He died in 1991 at the age of 84 a funeral I missed as I had then emigrated here to the states and could not get a visa back to the US if I left. One regret filed in the regret box!.

That man gave me a trade and skill which has served me well all my working life, but most of all was his teachings of life all of which I adhere to today. When I made mistakes I used to think in my mind ” what would Bob do?” I don’t do that anymore, now I say to myself “ what are you going to do about it”

Bob B Caskell was wrong on one thing. You do not have to die to graduate.

Keep making those mistakes! All the best. Anthony.

For all who make mistakes!

Thanks for sharing that Anthony, and credit due due to Mr BBC and his willingness to pass on his skills :bow:

CC

i wish the world had more teachers (mentors) like Mr BBC, it sure would be a better place. Thm:

Great story Anthony.

My very first day in a machine shop, I was handed off to a cranky old
man we called Red. He threw a print down in front of me and gave me
my first lesson.

"That perfect part is inside that lump of steel.
All you have to do is uncover it without touching it."

Then he walked away.
I didn't even know how to turn the lathe on yet.

It took awhile, but in the end, I learned more about this craft
from Red than anyone else.

Thanks again for the post!

Rick

What a great story, Anthony. Thank you for sharing that one. :bow:

Vernon said:
What a great story, Anthony. Thank you for sharing that one. :bow:

Yes, thanks Anthony. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Wonderful story. We're losing these hard shelled but large hearted old guys at an alarming rate. What a storehouse of invaluable being knowledge lost.

Steve

Do you have any pictures of the chest? I like that kind of stuff ;D

I too fondly remember the good teachers I had in school and can't remember the crappy ones.

I found I have a knack for teaching. I was supposed to audit a 5-day technical training class (software programming), but found it was so bad, that I opened my mouth ...... I wound up throwing 98% of the class material out and pretty much started from scratch. I approached the material from the point of view of "This is how I would like to see it."

Then they told me that since I wrote the class, I now had to teach it !!! :eek: Well, I DID ! I had never taught anything that even barely resembled a 40-hour/5-day technical training class and was thrown into the fire. It was tough work, but I proved to be somewhat of a natural at it. I knew the material (I wrote and understood it all), I used a lot of humor, wasn't afraid to admit when I didn't know something and would find out (students really appreciated the honesty) and encouraged questions. The students (adults) responded greatly to all that.

It was very, very satisfying to see the lights come on in their eyes about 1/2-way through the class, especially knowing I was facilitating that !! Got excellent teacher/class reviews too !!

I wound up becoming that Internet company's main technical trainer for the next 1-1/2 years before being laid off when the 'net imploded. Funny thing is a few years later, they were looking for a technical trainer ...... DUHHHHHHHH, very shortsighted company.

Mike

ChooChooMike said:
I too fondly remember the good teachers I had in school and can't remember the crappy ones.
Mike

Funny, I remember it the other way round because they were the ones who belted me, until my dear old Dad went to the school and belted one of them, (one of my Mother's ex boyfriends before Dad). My Dad was not a big man but he had a will of iron and fists to match. Ask me how I know. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Powder Keg.

Nothing more I would like is to show all of you my Machinist chest, but alas its stored away in my mothers house in Erith England.

I have plans to have it and some other large personable items shipped over, its just one more project that keeps going on the back burner.

Rest assured when it arrives it will be shown.

All the best. Anthony.

Latest posts

Back