Flywheel made from caster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlukens

Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm finally accumulating enough auxiliary tooling to start my first project... a double acting wobbler. I've worked most of the "Chineese" out of my Smithy 3in1, and I think it will suffice. However... after today's session, I went straight to my computer and ordered a wedge type tool post.
Anyway, back to the subject:
I bought a 3-1/2" cast iron caster and cleaned it up for a flywheel. I still need to sleeve the bore for a smaller ID, but I think it's going to be perfect for my design.

To be continued,
Russ

......I'm on my way to the store. Thanks !

cheers Garry

Hi,

Be careful with cast iron casters. Years ago I was refurbishing an old (1900?) chair which had casters on the back two legs. The axles were rusted in so I was working on one of them to free it when it exploded like a hand grenade with shrapnel going in all directions.
I wouldn't place much trust in stuff coming out of China being stress relieved.

Regards,
Alan C.

Hi,

Be careful with cast iron casters. Years ago I was refurbishing an old (1900?) chair which had casters on the back two legs. The axles were rusted in so I was working on one of them to free it when it exploded like a hand grenade with shrapnel going in all directions.
I wouldn't place much trust in stuff coming out of China being stress relieved.

Regards,
Alan C.

If you were worried about the caster flywheel exploding, it could be stress relieved (before machining) by putting it in the fire/stove and leaving it overnight to cool slowly.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Latest posts

Back