Flashlights

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I have them all over the house of one kind or another.....some 1M candlepower.....I like the little high intensity one I gave my wife the best....she won't let me...or anyone else...use it. ;D

Dave

Dave,
I bought a package of 10 like your package of 15 at Home Depot. They turned out to be quite well made and work well. I went back a week later to buy another package and they were out and I haven't seen them since.

I also bought some large "Grip Clips" like what are used for holding broom handles. I could not find them at dHome Depot, but Ace Hardware had them. Cost was about the same as the flashlights. I now have them mounted on all the machine tools, next to the material stock rack and near other places where I need extra light on a regular basis.

I have found that with a place to put the light back they keep from migrating to the work bench and are in a known location when I do need them. Before I would put the light down on the mill table after using it and then move it around to get it out of the way and eventually set it on some other flat surface. Samt thing happened with all the other machine tools, so I had to go looking for one when ever I needed it. Did not make any difference how many I had. I did this about s weeks ago and now it is just natural to snap it back into the clip after using it.

Photos show one mounted on my mill and one mounted on the lathe DRO.
Gail in NM

FlashlightClip1.jpg
FlashlightClip2.jpg

At first, I jumped on the LED bandwagon with some expensive Streamlites. Then, I thought I'd try some of the Harbor Freight 9-LED units that can be bought on sale for something like two for $2.89, give or take. IMHO they are a good bargain. I keep one at every machine in the shop, every vehicle and one in my pocket. Besides that, I give them away to folks who haven't tried LEDs, yet. They've done the job well enough.

I've only had trouble with one, but a bit of solder and epoxy turned it into the rugged unit I always keep in my pocket. That said, there seems to be two designs, one better than the other; you'll instantly recognize the better one.

BTW, Harbor Freight's recent flyer featured a coupon for a free 9-LED light, same as the lesser of the two units.

Granted, there's no snob appeal to these cheapies, but what the heck...

Orrin

Hi All
What i am using now are what is known this side of the pond as warm LED lights they give out a warmer light at about 350 degrees kelvin much better than the harsh blue light of most LEDS and more pleasing to my eyes more like the colour of a halogen lamp. They are available in sizes to replace most low voltage bulbs used for machinery lighting and general workshop use.

Can someone point me to a flashlight that will throw a pretty good spot at roughly 400 feet away?
Or a mod to an old style maglight, the one with the button to turn it on, that will produce what I'm looking for.
Thanks

400 feet's a long way for a flashlight. How big a spot do you want? LED light or regular bulb? Would one of those 12v-lighter-jack porta-spotlight things work?

Surefire makes some really nice gear for that kind of thing, but it's not cheap.

Call me a cheep skate, a tightwad, or whatever you feel is appropriate, but I have never paid more than a buck or two for a flash light. As a matter of fact the last 10 flashlights I got are Gordon 3.5" 9 LED Mini Flashlights. They are super bright and FREE at Harbor Freight with a news paper flier coupon.

But, if you have deep pockets and simply must have the best, then I suggest taking a good look at the specifications on the one in the link I provided for you.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/The_Torch-74-41.html

I wonder if I could light my cigars with it? scratch.gif

EDIT: Here's the one that Harbor Freight has been giving away for free with a coupon. One per day, per customer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/35-inch-9-led-mini-flashlight-65020.html

-MB

2 M candle power spot that I have will throw light 400 feet and more...I don't think my maglites could ever do that.....

Dave

It is hard to beat Surefire products. Once you get past the price that is.

Bob

Latest posts

Back