flared pipes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

Rummaging around under the bench at work the other day I came across old and worn pipe flaring kits. I took home what was salvageable and with a clean up and a bit of hammerite enough bits were made useable to build the set up again for 3/16 and 1/4 pipe apart from the OP.1 punch for 3/16 dia. pipe. Its a bit worn on the die threads but ok for home use.

DSC07134.jpg

I made a new 3/16 punch. The damage to the old one on the right can be clearly seen with the new one that I made on the left.

DSC07135.jpg

I made a pipe up to test it.

DSC07137.jpg

DSC07138.jpg

DSC07141.jpg

DSC07144.jpg

My question is this. Is this type of joint acceptable for steam use (easier than fiddling around and soldering little brass unions) I would make and use brass nuts. Having made the punch for the 3/16 pipe I think it would be fairly straight forward to make a punch and die for 1/8 pipe or any size for that matter.

Cheers

Rich

I believe that it depends on the pressure. Mamod did something similar with their early engines, they used some sort of fitting.

Latest posts

Back