Flame Licker troubleshooting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdboomers

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been lurking around this website for a bit but this is my first post. I recently got an old flame licker engine from my great grandpa. As he hasn't been around for a while I can't ask him what to do. I've been trying to get it running with no success. I've messed with the timing a bit and flame location. I've also tried to clean all of the oil out of the cylinder and put graphite powder in it, but that didn't help. Any help would be amazing. I attached some videos.

Attachments

• 20220729_131920.mp4
    28.9 MB
Hi everyone, I've been lurking around this website for a bit but this is my first post. I recently got an old flame licker engine from my great grandpa. As he hasn't been around for a while I can't ask him what to do. I've been trying to get it running with no success. I've messed with the timing a bit and flame location. I've also tried to clean all of the oil out of the cylinder and put graphite powder in it, but that didn't help. Any help would be amazing. I attached some videos.
View attachment 138885
View attachment 138887
From the video it looks like not licking the flame. May need a cover over flame so sucks the flame in.
I have never built one but have watched videos 📹.

Dave

Jdboomers !​

Remove the engine valve, turn the flywheel vigorously: the engine will run for at least 50 seconds - If the engine cannot reach that time: Check the friction, or the jam... of the whole engine.
Install valve , and check engine like my video

If your engine does not have the same phenomenon as my video, there are 2 reasons:
- Engine valve is not sealed
- Cylinder and piston are not airtight

Note: in the last video - i removed the spring fixing part

Sorry that I'm just now getting back with you guys, I had a busy weekend. How would you guys recommend sealing the valve?

Sorry that I'm just now getting back with you guys, I had a busy weekend. How would you guys recommend sealing the valve?
To make sure the piston and cylinder are ok, remove the valve
When the piston is in TDC, cover the intake-exhaust hole with your finger -> turn the flywheel for the piston to BDC and release your hand: the piston will go up as close to TDC as possible.
Use glue ( 502 ) to stick the sandpaper on the glass , starting with a 100 or 120 grit...depending on the surface, and ending with a 600 or 800 grit.
Grinding carefully in the last step

Some time back I built the Lanz tractor which has a quite large flame licker.
Never been able to get it running.
I read here how critical the flame position and surrounding is.
In my immense wisdom I decided to omit the 3 perforated baffles/screens surrounding the flame thinking it was superfluous.
Rethinking the issue, it may be possible the baffle function is to direct the flame into the cylinder by limiting the air draw from the sides.
Problem is that is near impossible to light the flame without the baffles and have no idea how to do it with the baffles in place short of hitting it with a torch.

Any idea?

Some time back I built the Lanz tractor which has a quite large flame licker.
Never been able to get it running.
I read here how critical the flame position and surrounding is.
In my immense wisdom I decided to omit the 3 perforated baffles/screens surrounding the flame thinking it was superfluous.
Rethinking the issue, it may be possible the baffle function is to direct the flame into the cylinder by limiting the air draw from the sides.
Problem is that is near impossible to light the flame without the baffles and have no idea how to do it with the baffles in place short of hitting it with a torch.

Any idea?
Some pictures will make it easier for people to comment - if they can

Latest posts

Back