Fixing TDI

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadnom1973

Reaction score
I have a Test Dial Indicator, it’s my favorite to use and is perfect shape except the hand or pointer fell off. There's a little post sticking up and a little brass cap that fits onto it so I bought a new hand, the old one broke, a watch hand. Fitted the hand to the cap with a little super glue but can't for the life of me seem to fit the cap to the post. I know the hole is about 0.6mm as I use a 0.6 drill to clean it out and the post is smaller as it's not a tight fit. I can't measure exactly.

I tried 680 Loctite and super glue but they didn't hold for long. It's difficult to be sure that there was enough contact but I’m pretty sure the bond was good. I’ll try again today with some red Loctite before giving up.

It’s a good TDI, not worth repairing, I could pick one up used for the repair cost but a shame to bin it just because I can't fix the hand to the pin on the dial.

Any ideas on how to fix this little brass cap to the presumably steel post?

If it's like most clocks the hand has a pressed on brass bushing with a split back slightly smaller than the shaft that grips the shaft

The bushing is the brass cap I'm talking about but I think the hole is far too lose to hold it anymore and I never saw any split feature. If the Loctite dose not work again I'll have to think about making a new cap but it sounds like the kind of job that will sink to the bottom of the pile and never be seen again.

Back