Fitting a vernier gauge to a lathe tail stock.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Bird

Reaction score
Hi,

A friend mentioned that he had read a magazine article about fitting a vernier gauge to a lathe tail using the holes drilled in it for the oil nipples. My Myford Super Seven's tail stock has two oil nipples on the top of it and I have a vernier gauge 100 mm long which is the same as the travel of the tail stock mandrel. I had already milled a slot in the mandrel to accommodate a section of ruler but a vernier as long as it didn't get in the way would be better.

List of photographs.

Myford Super Seven tail stock.

Scale fitted into the tail stock mandrel.

First the nipples were removed from the tail stock body and their mating surface cleaned.

The nipple thread was 2 BA and a pair of shouldered nuts were made.

Using two threaded rods on with a point the nuts were fitted to the tail stock.

A piece of 2" x 1/8" aluminium angle was used as the vernier gauge support, the pointed threaded rod being used to mark out the position of the second hole.

The threaded rod was drilled to allow oil from the nipple to reach the mandrel.

With the angle in place it was made parrallel to the lathes axis by shortening one of the nuts in the one plane and elongating one of the securing holes in the other.

The angle was shaped and drilled for the vernier gauge and a piece of 2"x 1/4" aluminium angle used for the securing piece for the mandrel.

Finished

Regards Tony.

002 IMG_2796 LR.jpg

003 IMG_2931 LR.jpg

004 IMG_2816 LR.jpg

005 IMG_2805 LR.jpg

008 IMG_2803 LR.jpg

009 IMG_2804 LR.jpg

010 IMG_2811 LR.jpg

011 IMG_2813 LR.jpg

014 IMG_2822 LR.jpg

015 IMG_2923 LR.jpg

016 IMG_2925 LR.jpg

Nice work tony! :)

I don't think you could design a tail stock shape more awkward for the vernier mod if that was your goal in life.... than what you had to work with. Good solution getting around the odd ball shapes.

I will post a picture of mine tomorrow, I was lucky mine was flat !

Cheers,
.adrian

Nice job. Why do you call it a "vernier"? A vernier gauge is strictly mechanical by definition. What you have installed is entirely electronic and the proper name is "Digital Readout", or "DRO" for short. Besides, it is a lot easier to spell;).

WOB

It is a good thing having a digital readout on your tailstock, it allows for those precision drilling of depths, but only if you have catered for the twist given to the readout by the turning of the quill.

If you don't counteract that, the continual twisting of the readout will cause premature failure.

John

Here is my version of the same modification for the tailstock
attachment.php

and also another mod that fits onto the rack to allow for simple DRO.
This can be added or removed in seconds
attachment.php

The two scales were purchased from China and are stainless.
Cost for both was around £11 :)

20170926_112858[1].jpg

20170926_113050[1].jpg

Hi,

Nice job. Why do you call it a "vernier"? A vernier gauge is strictly mechanical by definition. What you have installed is entirely electronic and the proper name is "Digital Readout", or "DRO" for short. Besides, it is a lot easier to spell.

Quite correct the catalogue I bought it from some years ago list it as a Digital Read Out Bar.

Hi John,

It is a good thing having a digital readout on your tail stock, it allows for those precision drilling of depths, but only if you have catered for the twist given to the readout by the turning of the quill. If you don't counteract that, the continual twisting of the readout will cause premature failure.

Yes I used a piece of brass hexagonal stock acting in the rectangular slot at the end of the bar which allows the quill to move a few degrees.

Hi,

Here is my version of the same modification for the tail stock and also another mod that fits onto the rack to allow for simple DRO.
This can be added or removed in seconds.

I like the fitting of the DRO on the top of the tail stock it must be a lot easier to see; on mine the quill lock would get in the way. The DRO on the rack looks good I fitted a three axis DRO for the bed, cross slide and top slide to my lathe which I am very happy with. I wrote a thread on it some where.

Hi Adrian,

A few shots of the install I did on my Wabeco.

Very neat; as you say a lot easier to fit.

Regards Tony.

And here's my version. Note the 2 ball joints to take up rotary movement in the barrel.
As it is, the barrel ring does not always permit ejection of MT sockets for normal screw operated tailstocks. The required mod would be a ring of the same thickness, but reduced diameter over half the thickness so that it sits over the front of the barrel.
IMG_1863 (Medium).JPG

The description appeared in EIM Feb 2004. If anyone needs/wants a copy, contact me and I can forward.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Hi Dave,

I like your angled display, which is a lot easier to see than my vertical one. I have done a little to streamline mine to stop it catching in shirt cuffs, I also think it looks a little better. I will give it a little time so see if I want to alter anything else before I try to figure away of angling my display.

It was good to see the different approaches of fitting a DRO bar to a tail stock of a lathe.

Regards Tony.

016 IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

I have a readout on the longitudinal axis of the carriage.
For precision depth
Set the drill bit on the face where the zero depth starts
Move the carriage and cross-slide so that the tool post is against the tail stock chuck
Zero the DRO
Move the carriage toward the head stock as much as the desired depth, reading the DRO
Lock the carriage
Drill until the TS chuck hit the tool post.
Done
No contraptions sitting on the TS

Hi,

Having used the DRO bar mounted on the tail stock for a bit and having had no problems other than seeing the vertically mounted display I decided to copy Dave's system that used an angled display. So two new brackets were made that held the DRO bar at an angle. See attachments.

Regards Tony.

IMG_3001 LR.jpg

IMG_3002 LR.jpg

Back