First post and question.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Harp

Reaction score
Hi all;

I have been registered and reading for some time, so figured it is time to say hello. I've been a lifelong tinkerer, but have never built an engine, although there are a few I would like to try, but would like to get a mill first and have not found one that I like and can afford.

Mostly I make tools to make tools. I have a small antique drill press (five bucks at a yard sale) that I want to convert to a hand tapper. My question is has anyone built a tap chuck which will align and drive various sizes of taps? I'd like to avoid having to change tap wrenches every time I change tap sizes. thanks.

Jim

Welcome to HMEM. Glad that your are with us.

I have used a drill chuck for tapping on a drill press in the past. What I have usually done to help preserve the taps (from breaking) is to hold the tap snug, not tight, in the chuck so that if something binds up, it will slip. A worn chuck works well for this purpose.

Welcome to the club!

As far as your question goes, I pretty much do the same thing WE does.

Eric

Welcome to a great resource. This forum is full of great help and I am sure you will find help regarding your question....but not from me this time, sorry. But welcome to the 'club'

Mike

Thanks for the welcome.

I forgot to say earlier that I am aware of the Rubberflex chucks, but I think they are beyond my means. Yes I use the keyed 5/8" chuck on my larger drill press for tapping. It does fine with smaller taps, but I'm not comfortable using it on anything above 3/8-16. For the larger taps I just get it started enough that I think it will remain straight and then use a regular tap wrench on it.

The press I want to modify has an old keyless chuck, and I think it would loosen if I went to back a tap out with it. I haven't checked the thread to see if a keyed chuck could be put on it. I plan to remove the return spring and the pulley, and put a cross bar on top of the spindle sort of like the hand tappers sold by HF and others.

Jim

J Harp welcome
May I suggest a set of Irwin/ Hanson tap adapters
These will fit in any 3/8 drill chuck and fit #6 to 1/2 taps
BTW this is a two pc set so not lots of changes between tap sizes
And if you do not alrady know do not power tap with hand taps.
http://www.use-enco.com
$ 20 on sale part #AR368-7087
There should be a code around here for free shipping on a $50 purchase.
Tin

Thanks Tin Falcon

I'll check the Irwin/Hanson adapters. My biggest drill chuck is 5/8, but I could probably make an adapter for the adapter.
There is no reason for me to power tap, don't tap that many holes. Hand taps I avoid whenever possible, I buy spiral point taps at flea markets and such. If they are dull, light touch up with a cylindrical stone in the Dremel usually restores the cutting action.

Jim

My biggest drill chuck is 5/8, but I could probably make an adapter for the adapter.
Me bad that is a 3/8 chuck no need to adapt and overcome.
Tin

Sorry, I must have been looking at it crosseyed, read it as 5/8 yesterday, but it sure looks like 3/8 now. I am overdue for new glasses.

Jim

Back