First lathe is home

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregW

Reaction score
After a few months of thinking about it, I purchased and brought home my first lathe. It's a 1981 South Bend Heavy 10 tool room lathe that was used in a school, and was sitting in a garage for the last 10 or so years. I bought it off the same guy I got my Bridgeport mill from, and both machines have seen very little use. The lathe will be undergoing a full restoration just as I did to my bridgeport. The lathe has all the desirables like a camlock spindle and hardened bedways. It came with a TON of tooling. 3 and 4 jaw chucks, 6 jaw bison set-tru chuck, follow and steady rests, centers, QCTP with attachments, and more. Very happy to finally get it home, and will probably make a few small projects with it before I tear it down.

n3uqm0.jpg

Nice find. That lathe will last you a life time.

Congrats. Tool Room Lathe is hard to come by. Precision turning easily done. This lathe is as good as new due to very low usage.

A top drawer machine and very desirable , I have just renovated the made in england version ............the Boxford A.
DSCF5568.jpg

This was also an ex-school machine.

That's a nice lathe you have and a nice restoration job.

I have a nice follow rest that came with it, how much use should I get out of it? I see it as being one of those tools that when you need it, you'll be glad it's there. I really only plan on making model engines and things. I'm thinking of selling it on ebay so I can free up some money for some other tooling for it.

That's a nice lathe you have and a nice restoration job.

I have a nice follow rest that came with it, how much use should I get out of it? I see it as being one of those tools that when you need it, you'll be glad it's there. I really only plan on making model engines and things. I'm thinking of selling it on ebay so I can free up some money for some other tooling for it.

Please don't do that! I've learned the hard way to never sell tools I don't have a replacement for. It may look like $$$$$$ right now but some time down the road you will be machining a thin shaft and be kicking your self in the behind.

Used tool room lathes in very good condition is hard to come by. Good reason why I still keep the 10 year old Japanese Sakai Lathe as much as get tempted to replace with a new China Mini Lathe. Same could still cut to the 1/2 thou OD/ID. And furthermore its not in production since last year.

Hi Greg
A lathe in the house is like having a baby (i have 4 — lathes, not babies). Maybe my metaphore is not quite successful, but Im sure you will get a lot of pleasure of it. Regarding selling tools dont if you can. Im still buying them though am an abused 75 old and receive the occasional mail from the forum big brother gently reminding me to somehow participate, but have nothing new to write about. Yet, am still buying tools and such...
Enjoy,

George

Looks a lot like the lathe I had instruction on in high school. Wish I'd paid more attention back then!

Latest posts

Back