First I/C engine build - Webster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just completed my first I/C engine build. Got there in the end and runs nicely (not perfectly but good. I still need to play with carb, exhaust valve and ignition timing a bit). This is my first post on the forum too so will be a bit clunky before I figure everything out.

It might take me a while to get it all written up so I will upload things as I get the time.

This project had many firsts for me:

- 1st time cutting spur gears
- 1st time making valves
- 1st time making piston rings
- 1st time making a vapour carb
- 1st time cutting glass

A huge thanks to all the people having built the Webster before be taking the time to do the excellent write-ups. I learned a lot going through them.

Anyway, here she is!!

Thanks for looking. P

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7mlac5DRgQ[/ame]

This build followed the webster engine plans pretty much to the letter (http://www.john-tom.com/html/ICEngines.html) bar the addition of ball races, slightly larger valve block, electronic ignition rather than the contact-breaker points version on the plans and of course a Jan Ridders vapour carb (http://ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_benzinedamp_carburateur/dampcarburateur_frameset.htm) for aesthetics and to keep things simple.

webster_engine0002.jpg

webster_engine0004.jpg

webster_engine0007.jpg

webster_engine0008.jpg

Very nice looking engine Pat. Thanks for posting.

Sleddog

Very nice. Did you have much trouble setting up the timing with the auto advance on the ignition? They can be a pain...

Hi Cogsy, I set it up by trial and error somewhere before TDC. I'm in the 'fettling' phase of the project now where I will take a more scientific approach. That ignition box does indeed auto-advance but suspect, as its designed for fast turning r/c model engines, that the effect on mine will be minimal. I have bought the transistors etc and intend to build my one with advance I can play with manually while she's running.

I have a youtube video but don't know how to embed within the post. Do you per chance know a thread where this might be covered?

Thanks, P

I set it up by trial and error somewhere before TDC. I'm in the 'fettling' phase of the project now where I will take a more scientific approach. That ignition box does indeed auto-advance but suspect, as its designed for fast turning r/c model engines, that the effect on mine will be minimal.

I first used one of those ignitions on a slow running hit and miss. Set it up for firing at TDC by manually turning the crank and when it came time to start the thing for real, it tuned out I had to retard the ignition by about 30 degrees. Long story short, the advance does kick in even at fairly low RPM. Having adjustable timing while running solved the issue for me (once I found out roughly where to get it firing).

I have a youtube video but don't know how to embed within the post. Do you per chance know a thread where this might be covered?

YouTube videos are super easy to embed. Copy the web address from the page you view the video on YouTube and past it into a post. The forum software will automatically embed it. There's a couple of things to remember though - often the creator of a video sees a different YouTube address from a 'normal' viewer on YouTube. You want the address that does not have the youtube name split (not like youtu.be) and the link should not have your account name in it. So basically it should look something like htt....youtube....watch/sdfgafd... obviously with extra stuff instead of the dots (I needed the dots to stop the forum from trying to embed the video). Let me know if you have an issue.

I first used one of those ignitions on a slow running hit and miss. Set it up for firing at TDC by manually turning the crank and when it came time to start the thing for real, it tuned out I had to retard the ignition by about 30 degrees. Long story short, the advance does kick in even at fairly low RPM. Having adjustable timing while running solved the issue for me (once I found out roughly where to get it firing).

YouTube videos are super easy to embed. Copy the web address from the page you view the video on YouTube and past it into a post. The forum software will automatically embed it. There's a couple of things to remember though - often the creator of a video sees a different YouTube address from a 'normal' viewer on YouTube. You want the address that does not have the youtube name split (not like youtu.be) and the link should not have your account name in it. So basically it should look something like htt....youtube....watch/sdfgafd... obviously with extra stuff instead of the dots (I needed the dots to stop the forum from trying to embed the video). Let me know if you have an issue.

Thanks that worked a treat. RE: the timing. If you see her running in the video, the idle is stable enough and revs like mad when you give a bit more vapour in the mixture so overall OK but sounds like a 2-stroke!! :eek:

3 things i want to play with:

1) rule out ignition-related issues by moving to a simple, non-advancing ignition (perhaps with advance i can play with manually while running.

2) Play with how soon the exhaust valve opens before BDC

3) If you see in the video i had to run with the vapour carb open. With the lid on, some fuel spits out of the tube indicating I have some sort of blow-back from the intake valve. I may try reseating it.

Any thoughts from hearing the sound would be most welcome.

Thanks, P

Congratulations on a nice looking and running (and sounding) engine.

I'd be interested in the results of your planned experiments.

Thank You for posting,

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back