First Ever Part

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogsy

Reaction score
It probably won't seem like much to you folks, but I'm very proud of my first ever lathe-turned part. It's not finished yet, but all the lathe work is done and so far it's turning out how it's supposed to!

imgp2526o.jpg

Hopefully I can work out how to use my new mill and finish it properly tomorrow.

Cheers,
Al.

That looks great! It is certainly much better looking than my first part was :)

What are you building?

Thanks for your kind words Brian.

I'm trying to build a flame eater with internal valve from plans by Jan Ridders. Jan's notes say to use stainless for the cylinder but he also mentions aluminium working as well, so I've gone with that instead. I figured it must be easier to turn (and source) than stainless, but as I've never turned anything before, I'm only guessing.

Al.

Good assumption Al. Some stainless machines easier than others, but none of it is easier than aluminum in my opinion. 303 is not too bad to work with, but I don't get along very well with 316. I've never tried any of the 400 series stuff.

In general the trick with stainless is that it work hardens very quickly so you have to make sure the tool is always cutting. If it makes a rotation without creating a chip, it will create a very hard spot on the part that will tear up the tool on the next revolution.

Good luck with the flame eater. Please continue to share your progress with us!

Cogsy there is nothing wrong with counting the successes. All engines are made one part at a time
Tin

I wish my first part would have looked that good. Instead it went to the scrap pile. Nice work!

hey i looks really good are you sure you never did this before J/k keep it up !

Back