First engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the kind words.

I did send the aluminum parts out for anodizing. I can sometimes piggy back personal jobs onto a small jobs sent in through my place of employment. I design automated machinery for a career and many of the jobs aren't big enough to exceed the batch charge fee so I can sneak pieces in at no extra charge. This one is a gift for my Father and I thought that anodizing was nicer touch than leaving raw aluminum. I was considering engine-turning the displacer plates and polishing the rest of the aluminum bits but ran out of time as Xmas came early this year :D

I have, waiting in the wings, parts for a second engine that I am building for myself. The rush to get the first one done leaves me with a few steel parts that I need to make after the holidays (and when the shop is warm enough again). The on to my main project, a compound steam engine from castings, in 1:1 scale.

Video coming soon, If I can remember how to format the video to what YouTube can take.

Ken

Here is one of those moving pictures.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0w5rfZzM-nM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0w5rfZzM-nM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Thanks for watching

Ken

Fantastic effort to get a LTD to run for your first engine ... I don't think I could do that now!

for a first engine you have done very well, i still haven't got the foggist idea how they work ??? :eek:

can someone educate me on this engine, or know of a website that explains the workings of this type of engine?

chuck

chuck foster said:
can someone educate me on this engine, or know of a website that explains the workings of this type of engine?

The engine pictured is termed a gamma type Stirling engine. Note the spelling - 'i', not 'e'. Stirling, the inventor, was a Scots minister. These engines are low pressure hot gas engines.

For an animation of the gamma configuration, take a look at:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/stirling-engine2.htm

mklotz said:
The engine pictured is termed a gamma type Stirling engine. Note the spelling - 'i', not 'e'.

I think Don meant 'sterling' as in, "conforming to the highest standard". ;)

Paula

Paula said:
I think Don meant 'sterling' as in, "conforming to the highest standard". ;)

Paula

Paula

Thanks for bailing me out.

I could say that is what I meant but .... Its a spell checker, not a grammar checker. Lets try this, It is a sterling example of a Stirling engine.

Merry Christmas :)

Don

That's a dandy! Nice work.

Chuck

Excellent 1st effort, you should be very proud. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Shipmate ..nice to see you on this one the engine is looking good, you just need to build the clinker boat to put it in.

Peter

Very nice project !

Seems the reversing gear workes very well.

I'm working on a tripleexpansion engine, and will also need to build in a reversing system, hope to do as well as you did

photo so far :

dd.jpg

Mogens

Bloody well done MCR, That is almost too attractive to hide inside the bowels of a clink don't you think? 8)

Cheers
BC1

As the launch is an OPEN design I figure I will be able to see the engine. This is the keel and the building jig:
Wide-a-Wake002.jpg

Love the build M-Kilde perhaps a project for the future.
The Stephenson's linkage looks great in motion especially at low revs.
The engine ran better in one direction than the other I thought due to tweaks needed in the timing,it was infact due to the gasket seal blocking one of the steam vents. Runs much better now.

Whaoooooooo...Well done!!! :bow:
Best regards
Paolo

MCR,
Nice work! But you have to tell me where you got the little bucket hanging on the lubricator??? I searched doll house places (embarrassing) with no luck. Plastic buckets only.
TonyR

Keep searching I found it in a dolls house shop a few years back (to add to my French fishing boat).

Latest posts

Back