First engine, even if it is only a wobbler.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prefer metric to those other strange numbers, lol. I'm doing a conversion to the closest metric equivalent, hopefully they'll work. I tend to use scraps for a lot of my work, especially in wood. I can dress it to any size I want, so that's not a problem.

A question though, if you don't mind. The inlet and exhaust ports on that engine seem to be a strange shape. Would it still work if they were round? Would certainly make the job quite a bit easier.

GreenTwin, may I ask why the inlet and exhaust ports on that engine are the shape they are? Would they also work if they were just round?
Round ports will work fine.
If you look at the old commercial oscillating engines, which were generally some sort of low level hoist engine, or some other non-critical task engine, the ports were not round.
The intent was to get a quick full opening of the port using the odd-shaped port, which is basically how a D-valve operates.

A round port will not give a quick and full port opening, but for a model engine, this is not important at all.
And I have seen at least one old commercial-looking engine that had round ports.

I enjoy filing, but it's hard on my hands, especially needle files, so I avoid it when I can. But it might be worth a go.
For very small ports, it is tricky to get an accurate shaped and located port, and I generally use round ports, which is what I used on my green twin oscillator.

For a larger engines, it would be easier to grind an odd port shape, say using a Dremel moto tool.

awsome work bushranger! good to see others acomplishments i am also building my first engine "the e-z engine build" from this site an your progress is motivating.

GreenTwin, I take it you've seen the magnetically sprung wobbler https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/magnetically-sprung-wobbler.28961/ I'm thinking of trying that idea out on your engine, but I think I'll build another simple wobbler with one to see if it works. If so, then I'll be starting on your design.

Guess I'll have to start another thread for that one, lol.
I have not seen that design.
Magnets these days have really become incredibly strong, so who knows what you could do with them.

I will probably redesign my dad's design at some point, and make castings for it, with bearings and bearing caps, etc.

I started to make castings for it many years ago, but I really was clueless about foundry work and engines at the time, and so I did not get very far with it.
I did make a pattern, and cast a few frames in aluminum, but that was as far as I got.

rImg_2392.jpg

rIMG_2405.JPG

rImg_2411.jpg

rImg_2414.jpg

The solid flywheels lend themselves well to bar stock construction.

I have gotten to the point where since I can make my own castings, I see every engine part through the lens of a casting.
Kind of like if you have a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

Edit:
I don't really like the looks of the rod end on a Cretors; it looks too much like a sewing machine part.
And those cap head screws are definitely not original Cretors items, but that is what came with that engine when I purchased it.
I will replace those screws with ones that match the original Cretors screws.

I think the No.02 Cretors with the smaller base looked better.

I think those slotted screws are original Cretors, but I must say I am not crazy about the looks of those either, although they are the original look of that engine.
Slotted screws look too much like sewing machine parts in my opinion, but to each their own.
I prefer the old style bolt look, which had a taller head than a new bolt.

raIMG_7082.jpg

Nice engines, but to be honest, I prefer the look of your father's engine. Also, it would be an easier job to fabricate the base as I don't have any casting equipment, yet.

Where would be a good place to start a new thread for this? I'm seriously thinking of doing a better job on logging the work I do. Some of which is doing some pretty heavy reclamation of old CI scraps.

(Edited to change a word to something more appropriate)

Last edited:
I think the No.02 Cretors with the smaller base looked better.

I think those slotted screws are original Cretors, but I must say I am not crazy about the looks of those either, although they are the original look of that engine.
Slotted screws look too much like sewing machine parts in my opinion, but to each their own.
I prefer the old style bolt look, which had a taller head than a new bolt.

View attachment 131301
But the sewing machine and the typewriter of two works of genius. How the sewing machine works by putting a loop over the bobbin is more complicated than an engine.

Nice engines, but to be honest, I prefer the look of your father's engine. Also, it would be an easier job to fabricate the base as I don't have any casting equipment, yet.

Where would be a good place to start a new thread for this? I'm seriously thinking of doing a better job on logging the work I do. Some of which is doing some pretty heavy reclamation of old CI scraps.

(Edited to change a word to something more appropriate)
My guess would be under the "ENGINES AND DOWNLOADS" banner, under the "ENGINES - Engines made by the member".

Good luck.

But the sewing machine and the typewriter of two works of genius. How the sewing machine works by putting a loop over the bobbin is more complicated than an engine.
I still don't understand how the loop/bobbin thing works, even when I am standing there looking at it.
Call me a dumbie or whatever, but I don't really get it.

Latest posts

Back