First engine, even if it is only a wobbler.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruined parts? How about an IC engine that I can’t get to run no matter what I try? :mad:

Don’t give up the ship Bushranger, there’ll be better days AND worse days ahead. Critical thinking works through most problems!

John W

Another day in the shed an some more parts made:
Flywheel.jpgCrank_and_Pin_2.jpgCrank_and_Pin.jpg
Waiting on screws and reamer, so not a lot more I can do for a while. But I'm sure I'll find something to fiddle with, lol.

Still waiting for screws and reamer, but drilled and tapped the holes in the cylinder and engine frame. M2 screws so made tap holder to hold the tap:
TapHolder.jpg
Then did quick fit up to see how it looks. Didn't press everything into place, so it looks somewhat odd:
Engine1.jpg
Engine2.jpg
Still have to make the piston, base and air inlet. Hopefully that will all be done next week.

Thanks for showing an interest in my project.

Cheers,
Paul.

Call me biased or whatever because I have always liked seeing steam engines come together, and dreamed about making my own for most of my life, but there is always the thrill of seeing if the parts fit together, seeing if they go through the motions without binding, and the really cool "first run".

I guess you have to have made an engine and experienced the trials and tribulations of such to really appreciate the experience.

The joy of making anything is reward in itself. Making something you've never tried before is pleasure in itself. I'm looking forward to getting this little engine to run and planning my next build.

The problem with hobbies like this is they tend to get addictive :).

The joy of making anything is reward in itself. Making something you've never tried before is pleasure in itself. I'm looking forward to getting this little engine to run and planning my next build.

They tend to get addictive.............Amen on that brother.

That's not a problem, it's a blessing. Cigarette smoking is a problem.

Still waiting for screws and reamer, but drilled and tapped the holes in the cylinder and engine frame. M2 screws so made tap holder to hold the tap:
View attachment 131142
Then did quick fit up to see how it looks. Didn't press everything into place, so it looks somewhat odd:
View attachment 131143
View attachment 131144
Still have to make the piston, base and air inlet. Hopefully that will all be done next week.

Thanks for showing an interest in my project.

Cheers,
Paul.
Look pretty !

They tend to get addictive.............Amen on that brother.
I AGREE. The split single 2 stroke motor I've recently built (170 ccs) and run successfully up to 4500 revs is a good example of that addiction. And ideas keep coming back on how to improve on it generally and to make it compliant with emission laws. Not easy but I'm sure working on it.

Finally got the piston finished, on the fourth attempt. I can't believe it took me so many attempt to do it.
Piston.jpg

The screws turned up today, but still no reamer. Anyway, thought I'd put it all together and see if it would run. AND IT DID! Talk about chuffed, but there was nobody around to see it other than me. I'll try to get a video, but I mucked up the air inlet so have to hold the hose on. I'll remake it one day so, when I get around to it.

Practice makes perfect is an old and true adage... Good that you recognised what "wasn't good enough" and had the mind-set to make re pate versions until you got it right. Very good attitude - an example to us all, that "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again!".
Well done Paul.
K2

Metric?
What is that?
LOL

Feet and inches are so convenient that I am not sure there will ever be a complete conversion to metric here.
In the hardware store, wood is often dual listed, but a 2x4 will always be a 2x4, and a 4x8 sheet of plywood will always be a 4x8.

Dual-listed dimensions is probably the closest we will ever get to metricization.

Latest posts

Back