First Aid Kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Kenny

Reaction score
What size of first aid kit is in your shops and is it easy to get to?

Mine is mounted by the door and I keep an extra quart bottle of hydrogen peroxide on the shelf to flush out cuts. I also keep a bottle of water in case I get dust in my eyes so I can flush them out.

Kenny

Kenny
Get you a bottle of "red oil". the stuff is amazingly good at keeping cuts from getting infected, soothing the pain and things heal faster too. Dunno what's in it, but the whole textile world, going back nearly 100 years, swears by it. I keep it right next to the peroxide and bandaids. You can get it here: http://www.911healthshop.com/redoilfioilb.html

Steve

A mirror, a magnifier, and sharp tweezer are invaluable for slivers.

Best,

BW

BobWarfield said:
A mirror, a magnifier, and sharp tweezer are invaluable for slivers.

Best,

BW

Tweezers and a magnifying glass reminded me of a couple of items I keep in my toolbox.

I saw a tweezer with an attached magnifier in one of the company first aid kits several years ago. I talked to the "First Aid Girl" when she came to refill the bandages and she ordered me a pair. While she was ordering the tweezers she also got me a little gadget that has a magnet on one end and a loop of fine mono filament on the other for retrieving stuff from the eyes. I can't remember which company had these, I think it was ZEE but it has been so many years I really can't remember. Medical suppliers and larger drug stores might be a source.

The cost was minimal compared to the discomfort these items have relieved. I soak them in alcohol after use to dis-infect them and keep them in a sealed zip lock bag.

Another must have, is a wall mirror somewhere convenient.

Since I do A LOT of welding I also keep some stuff called Quick Cold. It is an aerosol can that is a combined dis-infectant and cooling agent for treating burns.

Cellphone in pocket for 911
bandaids in tool box
And that antiseptic super glue for the other guys.
I love it when guys at the shop get a cut and I get to paint that glue on it. Tell em it doesn't hurt then watch em' cry.

Latest posts

Back