firefox is red flaging this site

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my firefox still flagged the site at 3:20 pm central time, i've turned off site blocker. just seen that my post showed up from yesterday

Kevin, you do realize you cannot trust the OS install this runs on or the forum software now that it's been rooted.

I hope an OS/forum reinstall are in order....

Please understand that the Google flagging of HMEM as an attack site was the result of a hacker.

The notification of HMEM being an Attack Site is on only the Firefox browser based on Google reports.
Google isn't out to shut us down, they are doing their job in protecting you.

If you are using Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator, there is no such warnings.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused to our Firefox user members.

Rick

There are warnings about malaware that simulate these warning screens to trick the users into lowering their browser's security.

I now use IE for HMEM and Firefox for everything else :big: :big:

Hope the problem goes away soon.

rake60 said:
The notification of HMEM being an Attack Site is on only the Firefox browser based on Google reports.
I access HMEM from either of 2 Macs using Safari, interestingly I get different alert messages on the 2 machines, one says it is an Attack Site, the other says it is a Phishing Site.

rake60 said:
....... they are doing their job in protecting you.
With respect, I don't think it has ever been Google's job to protect me or anybody, and we certainly shouldn't rely on them to perform that role. ;)

bob ward said:
With respect, I don't think it has ever been Google's job to protect me or anybody, and we certainly shouldn't rely on them to perform that role. ;)

Thats certainly microsofts stance, since their browser only checks their own database, which is no where near as expansive as Googles.

In this case, however, Google was correct. This site was compromised, and did download malicious software onto users computers. So for the inconvienience of unchecking a box in the settings, you are at least informed you were about to infect yourself.

Now that (hopefully) the offending script has been removed, and appropriate backdoors the attackers used to compromise the site have been closed, the process to get this site off the blacklist takes quite a bit longer then the automated way it gets on.

Yes, we did get hacked a couple weeks ago.

There were at least two, possibly three, sources for the hack. All simultaneously. No malware was downloaded to members from this site, however, one of the hacks had a redirect that did attempt to download some kind of script.

All these hacks have been removed and I've tightened up the security a notch. I've also put in place some monitoring tricks, I get reports every hour. While a couple of the hackers were pretty persistent I've been able to stay ahead of them.

There have been no incidents of hacking in over a week. I appealed to Google to rescan the site several days ago but as Bob Ward stated I suspect they will not be in a hurry to do so.

Please be patient during this time, I have no idea when Google will get around to removing us from their blacklist.

Thanks for the feedback and your effort Kevin Thm:
I loathe hackers! - I wear a white hat just like you do.

Firefox is still giving me the warnings too. Had to do this on IE.

same here had to unblock as of today 10/18/2010 9:40 am in not so sunny calif.

Seems to be unflagged today. Yesterday, when I tried to log on I was still getting the Attack Page messages.

looks like google finaly cleared us from there bad boy list it is about time.
Tin

Hi

I just tried tried ( 19.17 uk time) but firefox is still blocking.

Rich

I'm not getting the block here at the moment.
Maybe Google is finally looking at it for us.

Rick

I'm getting on ok, got the "block reported attack sites" option switched back on and it has been ok all day for me. (BTW I am using Firefox)

Tim

Google are now not reporting an problem any more so it looks like its sorted. Lots to catch up on and plenty to report. Not to forget the withdrawal symptoms while I was away.

I know from emails it was getting Rick down a bit but hopefully he's a happy chappy now. I am ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pete

Yup, I was let through today without issue. Much to read.

Latest posts

Back