FireFly 46

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghosty

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi All,
Came across this when looking for another engine, look good, so with all the lockdows, it went quick.
Got running at just over 11,000rpm, still has more in it as it is still tight.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Outer Diamentions.pdf
    260.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 129
I think this is the design of well-known aeromodeller and mag columnist Alex Whittaker.

I'll send him the link to this thread....

Tim

I sent Alex the link and received this response;

"How interesting. Most Fireflys begin around the 7k to 8k mark until they are properly run in, and 11k is then about right. That lad has put a lot of extra work onto the head and crankcase. Cool. Very easy to build. Hope he goes on to build my in flight mixture control carb"

As far as I can remember, the Firefly was published in Radio Control Models & Electronics magazine some years ago.

Tim

Yes it was in RCM&E then Model Engineer which is where I published my build thread that first showed the additional features of the head and crankcase, it's a fun engine to build and good as a first aero engine. I got just over 7000rpm on the first runs with a 10x7 prop. There is an up to date link in my first post to the drawings which I do have permission to host.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=70308&p=1

Back