Fire Eater - It's alive! It's alive!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA

Reaction score
Hello all,

Apologies for the 'over the top' subject, but this morning I finished mounting and adjusting my Duclos Fire Eater, my first ever engine and was very surprised (and gratified) it actually runs!

I'll be uploading a video to YouTube later today and try to link it here.

I made a few changes to the original design (some planned and some not! :-\) including using graphite for the piston. This worked out exceptionally well with a very close fit giving good compression and I believe helping with the starting which is quite easy.

It very likely needs to be tuned and definitely needs to be 'buffed-up' but I now understand how one can get hooked on this - what a thrill! :bow:

All the best,
Mike

Congrats Mike!!! That first one is special, but then they all are really, seeing them come to life for the first time. Looking forward to seeing the vid.

Bill

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the kind remarks - if one gets this feeling each time, what a great experience.

Is it just me, or is it normal to be surprised it actually works?

Getting the video will be another learning experience - have effectively zero experience there, but I'll give it the old college try.

In the short term, here should be a short version.

Best,
Mike

View attachment Fire Eater 005.MOV

That worked Mike, even the inverted ending :big: Not to worry, it still shows it running and very well too. As for the surprise...I know how they are supposed to work, and I know if I have stuck to the plans, etc., but its still an extra bonus if it runs right from the very first spin. Just be prepared when it doesn't always happen that way. But being successful on the Duclos Fire Eater on your first try is a good sign of more successes to come. I keep meaning to change mine over to a graphite piston too, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Regards,

Bill

Hello Bill,

I don't think the Hollywood directors have anything to fear from me - it's easier to use a lathe or a mill than one of these tiny cameras - my fingers are too big for the buttons and I can't see what they say! ??? Of course, I might do better if I read the manual.................. ::) but that's not going to happen.

Not knowing what I'm doing (it's 'learn as you go') I try to follow the directions as best I can - even with that I must have made most of the parts at least twice and several three times to get it correct. Still I was very surprised that this thing kicked over reasonably easily.

Want to thank all the contributors on this forum whose knowledge has been selflessly shared, without which I doubt I would have been so fortunate.

Lots of work yet to be done on this one before it's 'done' but I'm already planning my next engine - think it will be Jan Ridders 2-cycle single cylinder IC engine, 'Debbie'.

Best,
Mike

Latest posts

Back