fire brick (or whatever its called)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertha

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I see pictures of people silver soldering or torch heating tool steel for hardening etc, they typically do it on a whitish brick looking material to keep the heat confined & protect the bench. What exactly is that material & where would I typically find it? (Canada). Ideally Id like to buy a few blocks or tiles so I can orient them in different arrangements like the open corner box concept. I saw this (attached pic) at Home Depot but I'm not sure if its meant as cosmetic 'fire proof' material vs. what I should be using.

I just made my first cutting tool from oil hardening tool steel (woo-hoo!). It is small mass material from 0.25" rod stock & only needed the tip hardened so used my propane torch & held stock in flame with vice grips. Seemed to work well but I could tell already it was losing heat & taking longer than it should. I know one day I'm going to have to bite the bullet on an oxy-torch system of some sort. But the test part came out pretty nice so I'm all pumped up about this new found capability. Time to take it to the next level!

5-9-2015 0000.jpg

Hello,

Do a search for : silica insulation up to 2000 degrees
rigid ceramic insulation 2000 degrees
rigid calcium insulation 1200 - 1700 degrees

McMaster has it ,but not sure if they are available in your location.

Brian

Hi,
They're used to line fireplaces. Find a masonry contractor in your area. He'll probably give you a couple of them.

Good luck,
Bob

the stuff that lines fireplaces absorbs heat, you want something to reflect heat.

perlite or white building brick.

the stuff that lines fireplaces absorbs heat, you want something to reflect heat.

perlite or white building brick.

thats wrong information look at this page bottom

Chemical Composition of Dense Firebrick – 23% Al grade
Alumina : 23%
Silica : 73%
Ferric Oxide : 1.4%
Accessory Oxides : 1.1%
Titania : 1%
Fused Frits (ceramic composition/s)
Mass densities, weights of volumes and vise-verse, for various types of heat resistant materials can be easily calculated with refractory material calculators.
Who is your fire brick or refractory supplier, do you have contact-s on them and where are you located? Have you noticed chipped or seconds fire bricks being sold for better price somewhere? Please leave your comments for others below…
Names for fire bricks may vary
Fire bricks nay be called by various definitions. It depends on who works with them, names them too. Yes various entities — one more special than the other :)
Out of my head right now:
fire brick = fire-clay brick = refractory brick = chamotte brick = fireplace brick = heat resistant brick = chimney brick = dense/heavy kiln brick (for building kilns) = industrial ceramic brick (heavy).

Whatever you buy make sure that is the light type. If it weight like a conventional brick or more is not the type you want.
Search for places that do ceramic craft and places that sell kilns.

The heavy type is structural and while is fire proof is also conductive of heat.

The light brick are very porous, they are made with saw dust which is burned off when fired.

I use a couple of pieces of white lightweight building brick, often called Hebel bricks. Although their fairly thick, they do a great job. You will notice a big difference when heating parts on the bricks, the heat is kept in, I just use a Mapp torch and gas, no problem heat treating 16mm dia silver steel.

Paul.

There was a post - I think it was on this forum but can't find it now - where a guy was heat treating small tools in a small home made oven just large enough to put the tool in.

The sides/top/bottom of the oven were made from vermiculite, which is an insulation material and available in quite thin (1" thick) pieces.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

There was a post - I think it was on this forum but can't find it now - where a guy was heat treating small tools in a small home made oven just large enough to put the tool in.

The sides/top/bottom of the oven were made from vermiculite, which is an insulation material and available in quite thin (1" thick) pieces.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Dave,
you are wright but I cant' find it

cheers
Luc

Check out a good Pottery Supply store. I found some there used in kilns.

Thanks Luc. Assume you mean these bricks (pic)? Unless I missed it, he shows them in use but doesn't specify what they are.

He talks about his refractory mix, but I think that's for pouring the slurry in the annulus of burner pot (The refractory mix is 1 part Fire Cement to 4 parts Perlite straight off the Myfordboy blog. I’ve seen web pages swearing that Portland cement/ Perlite/Fire Clay as the way to go but I’ve also seen too many pictures of catastrophic failures of that mix...)

The potter/kiln suggestion might be worth a try. I found this product, think there is a ceramics type supplier in my neck of the wood.
http://www.psh.ca/index.php?item_id=R23IT

The 'K23' trafedname led me to this information
http://www.traditionaloven.com/articles/81/insulating-fire-bricks
http://www.traditionaloven.com/articles/84/firebricks-heavy-dense-fire-clay-bricks

5-10-2015 0000.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Luc. Assume you mean these bricks (pic)? Unless I missed it, he shows them in use but doesn't specify what they are.

He talks about his refractory mix, but I think that's for pouring the slurry in the annulus of burner pot (The refractory mix is 1 part Fire Cement to 4 parts Perlite straight off the Myfordboy blog. I’ve seen web pages swearing that Portland cement/ Perlite/Fire Clay as the way to go but I’ve also seen too many pictures of catastrophic failures of that mix...)

The potter/kiln suggestion might be worth a try. I found this product, think there is a ceramics type supplier in my neck of the wood.
http://www.psh.ca/index.php?item_id=R23IT

The 'K23' trafedname led me to this information
http://www.traditionaloven.com/articles/81/insulating-fire-bricks
http://www.traditionaloven.com/articles/84/firebricks-heavy-dense-fire-clay-bricks

yes it is refractory brick check bottom of post #5 you will see many
other names for it. It's what you find in a fire place.

It's easy to get in Canada They are fabricated at
Canadian Refractory
one hour from Ottawa Ontario

cheers
Luc

Garry

The white light stuff is Insulating fire brick. The heavier stuff if Fire brick. Fire brick is use to build fire places in homes. Insulating fire brick is used to build kiln and high temp furnaces. If you can find a pottery supply store that sells clay and tools to potters they will have insulating fire brick or know a source for it.

Dave

Back