Finished My LTD Stirling Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr VG

Reaction score
Hello All,
This is my first time here! I have been a home machinist for about 10 years with tons of creations. I had been dreaming about having a LTD Stirling Engine for many years. I finally decided to start designing one of my own as a nice winter project. 3 months ago I started designing and started throwing chips 4 weeks ago. I finally completed it! It has a 7.5” displacer and stands about 14” tall. I got done putting it together and went to get the power source, hot water in a bowl. After about 30 sec. on the bowl of water it tried to start. Once it started to run on its own it was a break neck speed of 30 RPM…… Still exciting to me, since I have never built or even seen one of these devices in person. After a few adjustments it really wound up to between 96 and 116 RPM. Now I was really going nuts. I probably sat there watching that thing for 3 hours. I know that it is a big LTD, and needs a bit more heat than just a hand, but you've got to start somewhere….. Hope that you enjoy the pictures.

See the video 5 posts down from here...

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

They're extremely engaging engines. Something elemental and fundamental about going directly from heat to mechanical motion.

Now for further mystification and amazement, sit it on a plate of ice cubes and spin the flywheel in the opposite direction.

Welcome to the forum.

Nice job! Congratulations, you are hooked now...

Beautiful engine and pictures too VG. At any size the LTD sterlings are a joy to watch and virtually silent as they run. Any chance of posting a short video of your running?

Welcome to the forum too :)

Regards,
Bill

Interesting fly "wheel" there. Nice method of balancing it, too.

Yes I did run this with 2 freezer packs under it and yes it did run in reverse.... cool stuff. The way that I have it balanced is temporary, I will be making a slide weight for this once I work out some minor changes that I want to make.

Here is a short video......

View attachment Stirling Web.wmv

Mr VG,

Are you merchant navy, where Mister is a term for the mates ???

Welcome to our forum wEc1

And not forgetting your very nice Stirling. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back